Thinking of trying HRT but need advice.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, was thinking of going to my doctor to go on HRT but not sure if it is for me.I am constantly tired and have no energy, suffer hot flushes, have poor memory and a constantly bloated stomach. Have not had a period now for 3 years, am 57 but feel more like 87. Have tried herbal remedies and vitamins, but they made no difference. Also very confused as there are so many different types of HRT. Does anyone know if HRT would help with my symptoms. All advice welcome. Thanks. Lyn

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi lyn,

It helped me a lot, I was having the same symptems and tried to fight it for 4 years, I'm 53 and not had a period since I was 49, I thought I was going mad, I have been on it for 8 weeks now and feel so much better already and its only early days. My hot flushes stopped after about 10 days, I sleep a lot still but my quality of sleep is much better, I have more energy though on the whole. I have stopped being confused and not as forget full as before. Good luck

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply. It certainly helped and i will discuss it with my doctor.
    • Posted

Hi, just wondered what type of HRT you are on and is it in tablet form or patches.Many thanks. Lyn.
  • Posted

Hi Lyn, I’ve been on slow release low dose HRT patches for years. I’m now 63. Personally I would recommend you try them. You will feel younger, unfuzzy, and generally much better and happier. I also think they have helped my body and face look younger and healthier. The only downside could be if you decide to come off them. Estrogen drops and it’s back to square one. However my GP and other medical professionals have said you can stay on them indefinitely. Have regular breast checks and Pap smears. Good luck.
    • Posted

Many thanks for your reply. I think i will be making an appointment to see my doctor and maybe start on a low dose. Did you put on any weight when you started on the patches?
    • Posted

Hi Lyn, I haven't on any weight since being on the patches. Try a low dose and see how you go. All the best

• Posted

Hi Tucksy, 

Can i ask which HRT treatment you are on?

Going to my GP next week & was pleasantly surprised you haven put on weight with yours.

Cheer, Chris.

• Posted

Hi Lyn its called kilofem, its a combined pill, one a day
    • Posted

Many thanks, hopefully will be seeing doctor tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.