Thinning hair and weight gain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a 60 year old female and have been taking Bisoprolol now for 8 months and have noticed that my hair has gone really thin. I have also gained a stone in weight. I am not hundred percent sure whether it is the drugs that have caused it, but I would like to hear from anyone who has the same symptoms.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diane, read your blog the symptoms you describe are in line with the Bisoprolol side effects, and as far as weight gain the tablet is mixing with the Gastic Juices and picking up your appetite, thus eating more. The tablet itself won't put on weight but the extra grub will. I have the same problem that's why I'm a 'past master' at losing and gaining weight. It feels like I've been dieting all my life.

There are other tablets Diane similar to Bisoprolol but as usual they have side effects too. I've tried a 'few' but all said and done prefer Bisoprolol and thank my lucky stars they do the job.

Hope this helps, take care...

• Posted

hi yes my hair got thinner and i put weight on and dizziness and diarrhea thats about it oh yes and tired most of the time
  • Posted

Hi Diane, Like you I am in my sixties and was prescribed this medication for unstable angina, I began taking it in April and sine then I have piled on almost 2 stones, and I spoke to my GP who just would not listen. I have almost all the serious side affects and I did not overeat, but I have been so unwell I haven't been able to do the same amount of exercise that I would normally do. Do you know if when you stop taking this medication do you lose the excess weight, or is it there to stay.

I feel the weight increase is doing me more harm than the problem I was prescribed this drug for. and I feel very unwell most days.

• Posted

Hi. My hair has got thinner and I have put weight on round my middle, none of my clothes fit and I feel very bloated, constant headaches and upset stomachs and oh yes the ever present weariness. I know that my heart is better but my quality of life isn't but medical professionalls seem to think that this isn't a problem. I am only 46 and the thought that this is my life is quite depressing
  • Posted

I was on Bisoprolol a couple of years ago, eventually coupled with Candesarten.

Between them, I had Vertigo, migraine, weight gain, fluid retention, terrible fatigue and daily nausea.

I eventually stopped taking them (because of the side effects) and the symptoms slowly went, though diet and exercise were needed for the weight and fluid retention.

I've since had to go back on Bisoprolol, I have reactive hypertension, it spiked massively when I went in for surgery recently, and the surgery has had to be cancelled until the BP is ok.

Been on Biso for 10 days now, no difference to BP yet, but crushing fatigue, pressure inside head (one of my migraine symptoms), fluid retention and weight gain. Also greater than usual hairloss.

I'm only staying on this horrible stuff until I've had my op, then it's in the bin!

The weight gain and fluid retention are not diet related, I'm on a very strict intake, but as soon as I started on Biso, I put weight on, even though I'm barely eating (really!).

A good thing to try, though I ended up getting hadaches with it, is Beetroot juice- it worked for me as well as most of the many BP meds I've tried.

I'm on my 3rd Cardiologist, this one is great, he's at St Thomas' in London, all side effects are acknowledged! He recommended Beetroot when I said I wouldn't take the meds anymore.

Turned out that my BP, when I'm not in a stressful situation, is normal, I get 'white coat' in hospitals etc.

I dropped the first two cardiologists because they completely dismissed the side effects... to the point that one Cardiologist told me to either put up with feeling terrible, or die!

Anyway, the point of my post - yes, the side effects, for me, were reversible but it took 3 or 4 months to get back to vaguely normal.

Depending on age though, putting on weight can stretch the skin, and the older you are, the less it springs back into shape (something I've unfortunately found out).

A drug that is supposed to have less side effects (not for me, though) is Aliskiren, this is only prescribed by Cardiologists.

• Posted

Hi, My weight increased since being on bisoprolol even when I cut down on some foods. True it's not ideal for skin when in older age group. Not taking just now so doctor will not be happy. Will try and look up Aliskiren. Last meds I reacted to was supposed safer Naproxen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.