Thinning skin due to Prednisone

Posted , 15 users are following.

Has anyone found a remedy/cure for combating thinning skin due to Prednisone.  In the past 10 months, I've aged 10 years!  I realize that thin skin is part of the aging process, but whoa---not this fast---I hope.

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

no cure but just some sort of moisturisers would help. The good news is that skin will recover after we stop taking steroids, per my rheumi.
    • Posted

And then there are doctors who say it won't recover...

• Posted

Hi Nick, do you know where your rheumy got this information, as I think he may be wrong? Skin thinning is one reason that people are told to limit their use of topical steroid creams too. I also have purpura with the skin thinning which is a real pain. I had hoped that would go away on lower doses of pred, but no such luck. It may be slightly improved though. I don't think I am kidding myself!

• Posted

I don't know about his source of information, but he was rather specific that skin recovery only happens some time after we stop with pred.

• Posted

My sixpennorth.

Mrs O recommended Double Base Gel/Cream.  I used it and still use it. I also found out that Great Ormond Street Hospital use gallons of it. 

Eileen also gave me brilliant advice (they are both mates longstanding mates) mine

Constant showering and washing strips the skin of all  natural oils and no creams etc can replace those.

Shower no more than three times a week and follow the directions ie do exactly what it says 'on the tin'.

Johnson's baby shampoo, but really water is just as good as any shampoo.

Arnica tablets and cream to deal with bruising - checked with Pharmacist as Joan is on a load of prescription medicines.  Yes it is compatible with nearly every drug.

Eye completely closed on Sunday, Arnica tablets and cream started on Monday.

Friday after 5 days following the instructions on both items. End use of tablets Monday as 7 days is on the label. Continue with cream.

After having been on pred for 5 years (GCA) and tips and tricks from people with these two illnesses.  10 years down the line - more wrinkles, old age spots. I still bruise when I am gardening  (with those skinny gloves the hospital use underneath my gardening gloves - which I hate - I like to feel the soil and plants). My skin is no thinner.

Cuts and scratches  are dealt 'Witch Hazel' 

Probably written too much..............so apologies in advance.

• Posted

It was with chagrin that, told to take a mirror to drawing class, I had to do a self portrait.  It was actually psychologically painful for me to look closely at the sagging, wrinkled skin.  Fortunately the instructor realized that none of us was enjoying this exercise (we are all over the hill) so next week we can bring in a photo of someone else!  

Also, I had a pneumonia shot last year.  Bled at the time, and developed a huge bruise which lasted for weeks.  Have had blood taken twice since then, different arms, and both times developed huge bruises, which fortunately don't last as long as the one in my upper arm.  I suppose this is pred related, but I don't think it will get better.  I think I was young for my age, and now I'm older and it's the rapid aging which has been so hard to accept.  

• Posted

I have had bruises on my arm from giving blood that were so impressive I put them on Facebook. However my current blood nurse does not make hardly a mark even when I am having loads of tests. She said the nurse who causes the bruises is not very good at doing it. The bad nurse has also caused bleeding which apparently should not happen. I left her room and bled all over the carpet in the corridor, it made a pretty nasty mess of my sweater as well as the carpet! She is incredibly pompous and thinks she is the bee's knees. I try to avoid her and ask for my new nurse. I do get bad bruising from pred and you can even see my osteopath's fingerprints!

• Posted

It is a skill - and it is appalling when someone doesn't know they are rubbish at it. When I worked at Barts we had a guy in the lab who had been taken on as a cleaner. he was given various other tasks to do over the years and for some reason they let him learn to do phlebotomy. He was AMAZING! He never missed a vein - and we all got him along when we had a really difficult patient. I learnt a lot from him.

• Posted

Will was a lovely lovely man! It was the best set of colleagues I have ever had!
    • Posted

My mother was at Barts but probably a long time before you were there! 

Just before Christmas I went to a party in the Great Hall, really steeped in history. Amazingly enough the food was excellent. We were entertained by a band made up of a load of medics! 

• Posted

'twas well over 40 years ago, just before and after we got married! Doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself!

• Posted

Don't think the word existed in his vocabulary! He really was humility personified.

• Posted

Have met lovely people like that in my work too. A joy to be around.
    • Posted

What always frightens me is when they announce someone has died in their 80s and I think they are still in their forties! Also the news will mention something that happened thirty years ago and I think it is only about five years ago. 
    • Posted

Most of the deaths here are people in their 80s, even 90s - mind you most of them look it after a lifetime outside - but we both get very twitchy when it is someone nearer our age when it either an accident or cancer it seems.

The 30 years ago bit is happening for me too - it is after all now the 80s that are that long ago!!!!!! When the kids were small... Horrors! wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.