Third time I've had shingles...and I'm 21.

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am 21 years old and this is my third time having shingles. I have it on my left thigh. At first the doctors were skeptical because I was 20 when they first diagnosed me with shingles, and I was just as surprised as they were to find out. But they reassured me saying after medications I shouldn't have another outbreak for a while, if not any at all. Six months later I had another outbreak, same area just a couple inches moved. 8 months after that, here I am today with the same firing pain and numbness. I'm going to the doctor today because it's hurting me so much. I wish they could find a cure for this, I'm scared im that exception that will be having shingles all my life. I haven't found a pattern at all, therefore I can't seem to find the reasoning behind all of this. Is there anyone out there with the same issue! Someone who is in their early twenties and keeps having reoccurring shingles??? I'm going out of my mind here. 

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ooooooops, I almost forgot!

Google Lysine Arginine diet, as eating a diet high in Lysine, and avoiding Arginine high foods helps reduce the intensity of pain, for me, but not the frequency.

Some people take Lysine supplements, but know that Lysine supplements can damage your liver and kidneys.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Don't worry, you're not alone. I'm 22 and on my 7th shingles outbreak. It's awful, and I worry myself sick about it. But I feel a little better after reading everyone's comments on here and realizing I'm not the only one.

• Posted

I am 28, had my first shingles outbreak as a young child - maybe 7 or 8 years old. Was never diagnosed with shingles until I was 24. I've had at least 15 outbreaks in my life, as a child on my right hand that lead to infections that followed a vein up my arm to my heart. As an adult, the shingles usually strike on the right side of my face, above my right eyebrow or as in the case I have right now, the back of my head down the right side of my neck. It's always been on the right side of my body. my outbreaks are very small, usually just one patch smaller than a quarter and they don't usually leave scars aside from the one on my hand since those outbreaks were so frequent in my childhood. I don't tend to feel the earth shattering pain others talk about, just a lot of itching and numbness with lethargy taking hold of me. I'm really glad to know what I have been battling my entire life now, at least and it's nice to know I'm not alone. My biggest concern is my small children catching chickenpox from my shingles and having to go through shingles themselves in the future.

• Posted

Replying to vent my current frustrations!

I'm 23 years old and have had shingles out breaks at least 10 times in the last 2 years. It's driving me incredibly insane. I first went to Urgent Care when I was 17, thinking I had sat in some poison oak or something, the rash being along my buttock and lower back. He quickly told no that is shingles. I hadnt heard of it before and he explained the chicken pox thing, the science of it, and that he has seen it more recently in younger people under alot of stress, comprising my immune system. It was the worst outbreak but since then I've gotten patches between my shoulders and this patch on my nose bridge many many times. It's to the point where I have a permanent scar that darkens in color each time, and permanent sensitivity and pain if I ever touch that part of the skin. It's so close to my eye, I get scared of blindness. I just don't know what to do! I'm a natural worry wort. I have come a long way in managing my stress but obviously this current outbreak says otherwise. Last year I had the patch on my nose almost monthly (I was going through some things) but i hadn't had it since the summer months last year and I was doing so well! I guess I'll go see about the vaccine. I really hope it can help, this patch on my face is always so embarrassing... To have Shingles so many times is freaking me out.

• Posted

I have had Shingles on and off since my twenties. What I have found with my research is that people will start getting shingles younger and younger due to not being exposed to it regularly since less and less children will be having chickenpox, due to the vaccine. Anyone that has had chickenpox can get shingles. The last time I got shingles my niece had, had the vaccine the same day that I saw her, the next day I woke up with shingles. 
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear this. I know what you are going through. I'm 17 years old starting my senior year and this is my third time having shingles in 4 years. They started my freshman year. I almost missed my first week of school.  They have a vaccine out for shingles but you can't get it until you are in your 40's I believe. I have tried to get it. There really isn't all that much you can do.  You are definitely not an exception that will be having it all your life. I never even had the chicken pox and I've gotten shingles 3 times. 

• Posted

OMG! I finally found someone with the exact same problem as me! My first shingles outbreak happened when I was 21 and came out on the back of my left thigh. I was working with my partner in cabaret shows, travelling in the far East, and it seemed that while I was continually working every night for 6month stints, my shingles outbreaks would never end and sometimes I'd have a second outbreak on the back of my thigh in one week but an inch away from the first one. It  would heal after a few days and then break out again.It seems that working on stage had me on a certain stress level which prompted the attacks. Not to mention that my partner was always jealous,demanding and overbearing, which was another reason for my nervous state and breakouts. After returning home from tour, I'd always heal for a few months and the shingles would only come after a heavy night out etc.   Many years down the track now and I'm not with the same partner any more but also staying celibate and caring for my parents. I'm only having breakouts every 6 months but revealing to you that. I'm one of those long time sufferers that contradicts the doctors explanations. Every year the shingles slowly moved a centimeter each year up my leg to my butt, where right now, I'm sitting in bed with a painful itching outbreak on my tailbone and butt cheek. It never ends!!  Always getting infected as well. So tired of it. Doctors are no help at all. I might venture down to my doctor and try the vaccine one day, but don't know how much that will help someone like me.  I really hope you don't have the level of suffering and years of problems like I have. I'd like to know how you go after the vaccine. 

Thank-you for sharing your problem and all the best for your shingles free future. ?? Cheers

Krystal 😉

• Posted

Hi Krystal,

I am so sorry you have been a long time suffered of this disease.

Certainly caring for your parents can add to levels of stress.

Do you take antivirals when you have an episode? FYI: Acyclovir is the oldest and least efficacious one. If you take one to prevent outbreaks, Valcyclovir or Famciclovir would be more efficacious for maintenance or treatment.

Have you tried Googling a High Lysine Low Arginine Diet and Herpes? Lysine helps prevent Herpes episodes and Arginine triggers episodes. Some use Lysine supplements in addition to the diet.

Also, get your Vitamin D level checked. Vitamin D plays a huge role in immune function. My Vitamin D was 14 and normal should be 40.

I have been getting Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty-one years and twice in my right eye.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States.

You also need to decrease stress from your life. This includes toxic people.

There are many of us on this forum who find the High Lysine Low Arginine Diet and getting our Vitamin D levels up to normal have helped decrease the intensity of pain and frequency of episodes of Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

Some have started getting the Shingrex vaccination processing the States, BTW. Zostavax was not really helpful.

Are you having much pain, now?

Best Regards

Merry Juliana

• Posted

You are not alone! For me the sun and stress is a major trigger. Wear your sun screen!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.