Third year medical student stressed out

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am new to this site. I am a third year med student and I am in sort of a crisis.My stress level is out of control. I have always been a perfectionist and it is taking a toll on me mentally.I am having such trouble sleeping and also having panic attacks. I feel awful as I am prepairing to help others and can not seem to help myself. I have been given diazepam for occassional stress, but I am finding that I need more just to keep up. This is greatly effecting my self confidence as a person and an MD.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You are too close to stop now. Saying that go back and see your doctor and see what he can give you to get this under control to finish up.do not let this win. 
    • Posted

You can choose a lower stress  job in the field when done and oh boy you will be loved and in demand with your understanding of what an anxiety disorder is. Do you know how many doctors are out there with compassion and understanding of all this? Yea me neither maybe three.lol 
    • Posted

Lisa I plan to be one of them God willing I have experienced the suffering first hand thank you
    • Posted

We are all routing for you. i am routing for you love. You are going to be a fantastic doctor! let your doctor help you get through this for now. I know its a lot of pressure and its competitive but only for now. Later on in all this it isnt as competitive anymore. Everyone specializes and goes their own way. dont pay any attention to anyone else how great you think they are or any of that. You know why because  this world NEEDS a doctor with your life experience  and the know how together and i can bet you now ..more will choose you who will be compassionate over some walking genius who sees people as a mechanic sees car parts. if possible see if you can get to do some acupuncture and massages here and there it will help you.  Eat as clean as you can. I wish you all the strength and courage and energy you need to fight thru this.if you can learn mindfulness breathing (on utube)it takes half an hour to learn and two minutes to do. It can help a lot in calming you down. And its quick and easy to be able to do anywhere needed. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Hi Emma, this must feel awful.. Especially in your case! I have been there and feeling like you're losing control is awful, pills help but temporarily indeed..

But do not think its out of order or not normal, you're only human! And experiencing this will make you a better doctor in the long run..wink

How about other students? I think people in the same situation coukd help, talking to them and get tips.. You must be under so much pressure with studying and exams! But its only natural to panic in those circumstances..

• Posted

I am certain I am not the only one who is under pressure, but this is a very competitive environment and that makes it more difficult to share problems such as this.I have managed to hold it together so far but it does get harder as expectations rise.
  • Posted

Maybe you can try melatonin and get your light and dark cycles under control and help your sleep. And be careful about addiction.
    • Posted

Thank you, yes I have tried that and I am very aware of the addiction aspects, again thank you
  • Posted

What a coincidence, my son who's in his 5th year of a Medical degree in Sydney also had the same stress issue when he was in the 3rd year. To my horror, he wanted to take a year off! Became aggressive with parents, argumentative ,most uncharecteristic.

We (both parents) on advice were totally understanding, agreed with absolutrly every liberty, didn't argue, dissuade etc.  Then his young cousin ,  a recently qualified Dentist talked with him ,at my request, He heard him out and calmly convinced him life was worth much more, that he should not waste a year and cost his parents the earth, he would loose more than gain .Spoke at his level, so not quite as described here:

He took up running, cycling and swimming,, taking part in triathlons and half  marathons and still does. Year 4 at Uni was relaxed, a  Group Research project (Intensve) and General Studies when he enjoyed doing German and Shakespeare .instead of Clinical stuff.We think he's recovered , will do electives Dec/Jan 17 at Durban Trauma and a/e Unit and Imperial, but occassionally gets short tempered when deadlines and running can't be reconciled.Has planned a vacation after electives to Bolivia and Peru for fortnite before embarkng on final year.

Hope this helps ,or gives some pointers!

Best wishes

Batty

• Posted

Thank you so much everyone here has been lovely as bad as this is I hope it will make me a better Dr
  • Posted

Sorry all Ive taken attacks for 45 yrs no matter what anyone says. They are there nothing can be said. This is a horrible disease of the brain .There are different types.type 1 cant breath.leaving the world feeling like ur dying. Type 2 im suffering now waking up heart beating out my chest tremors chills hot sweating crying PTSD.an Stress.is a off an on disease. no xanax  valium can make them leave permantly I had 1 break in life from attacks. from 21 to 35. you can have a normal fight with someone an a week later the panic att will come on.when i was 5 yrs old my lips an eyes wld swell up.at 13 my inside nerves were shot.I pray you out grow these attacks cause u cant walk them off.read them off.Emmalynn something in your life is causing these.what ever it is get away from you being a perfectionist. do you have a friend.you can have for the night.watch movies.till u fall asleep.or cry .try everything.Im going threw heck with mine i can go to bed at 2am im up with a panic att.by 6am.I will take a blood pressure pill. an may fall back to sleep. no pills have helped me .but I pray that you find a escape an break to stress.anxiety attacks have you ever had any bad traumas in your life.?stay in touch. and all of these people mean Good. Its just sometimes a battle thats so hard to fight but worth it.YOU are worth fighting these.I did.my mom had 2 breakdowns in her life.she was the only 1 that understood what i was going threw. I cry to her now by her grave. keep fighting
    • Posted

Lynnann I have always been able to cope with things in my life I have spent years getting to where I am. I am really stressed about this year as it is clinical in nature learning is one thing doing is another under intense scrutiny.I know In my heart I know I can do this, but my mind is wavering.Bless  you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.