This can be a dangerous medication - beware!

Posted , 64 users are following.

I took 5mg of amlodipine without problems for about a month. After the first-week period of adjustment, in which it completely knocked me out, I felt normal again and was overjoyed that it lowered and kept my usual 150+/90+ BP down to a textbook 120/80 (with minor variation).

But then side effects began to develop. I found my sleep increasingly poor, until I could only reach a half-sleep, no matter how much exercise I had had that day (or benadryls or Ambiens I took), "twilight sleep" I think it's called, and I arose as tired as when I went to bed, as if I hadn't slept at all.

Then I noticed that I would suddenly have shoulder and upper back muscle pain within an hour of taking amlodipine. The doctor lowered my dose to 2.5mg of amlodipine plus 40mg of benazepril, which brought only temporary improvement. The painful muscle spasms returned.

And most disturbing were the severe hot flashes that woke me up at night, as if the room were on fire, but the thermometer indicated it was only about 70°F (21°C) and my own body temperature was sub-normal, only 97 F or so (36 C), but despite my feelings of being overheated, I did not sweat - except from the soles of my feet, which is unusual for me. But my skin felt like it was on fire.

Then I would often wake with my brain "on fire" and itching like a bad allergy that I couldn't get to to scratch, and my eyes burning and streaming with tears.

The end of the amlodipine is when I opened the trunk (boot) of my car and blood vessels in the tips of my fingers where they had contacted the edge of the trunk (boot) lid burst and my fingers swelled up. I have never had weak blood vessels, or anything like that happen before.

Calcium blockers cause the blood vessels to relax and thin out - and now I wonder if not become weak. That would be a great setup for a stroke. I basically had a stroke in my fingers.

I will NEVER take this medication again. I believe it can lead to muscle pain, unrestorative interrupted sleep, and worse, strokes. I now consider it poison for me.

By the way, amlodipine has been banned in the Netherlands and other countries because its dangerous negative side effects outweigh its benefits. I don't think the Dutch are arbitrary or capricious in their decisions - I totally agree. This substance should be banned everywhere.

15 likes, 121 replies

121 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I checked with the Dutch regulator - Amlodipine isn't banned in the Netherlands - it's on the 'script list there.  Nevertheless, I stopped taking it after two weeks because of swollen ankles and not sleeping.  My concern was that something which prevented fluid returnin from th legs - which act as  pumps, an't bother patient.  e a good thing.  She said it suited other patients.  If you're the right weight, eat properly and exercise, you're doing all you can.  But stress raises cortisol levels and cfronic stress is a killer.  And the advice about defective kidneysis good, here.  I wouldn't take Amlodipine again, though.
  • Posted

My doc took me off Amlodipie after being on it for 10 years because my leg swelled up ! He put me on Candesartan and that put me in hospital because of REALLY bad side effects ! back on Amlodipine now and this is much safer for me at least ! Candesartan is the real killer !
  • Posted

I am so glad that I found this discussion. I've been taking amlodipine for at least four years. Insomnia and unrestful sleep are the main side effects I've had, with resulting fatigue and muscle weakness that I was blaming on aging. I'm 66. I often think if this is aging, I can't stand it. I have horrible feelings of unreality and depersonalization.

Sometimes it goes away for a day or two, and I try to figure out what I did differently  because the awful feelings are now the norm. I used to write and do artistic activities. Nothing motivates me. I have memory problems and ringing/buzzing in the ears. I have muscle pain, joint pain, swelling in ankles, etc. 

After reading these forums, I want to get off amlodipine to see if my old self will return. I am afraid to, and my doctor thinks the anxiety (depersonalization and derealizatio) are just psychological and wants me to take antidepressants, which I refuse to do.

now I can see that the side effects started about the same time as the amlodipine. My bp is 132/73 when I take it, 140/89 when the doctor takes it.

i know I can't cold turkey.

i also know my doctor won't go along with this, so I am on my own.

because I took it for so long, is it dangerous to go off of it?

• Posted

You need to explain to your doctor how you feel and get him to replace it. There are other blood pressure medicines and you need to find one without these awful side effects. I came off it after three weeks as I felt so ill. I had to clear my system for two weeks and was then started on a very low dosage of candesartan, which I have taken ever since with few side effects. If your doctor blocks you, ask to see another doctor or be referred. There are plenty of others, who will be sympathetic to your needs.

I call this drug  the drug from hell. Good luck and don't feel you are being a nuisance.

• Posted

Yes, I agree with the @jenny. Don't take any medicine without knowing all its side effects..
    • Posted

I would get another doctor.  Your blood pressure is not that high. I have had terrible side effects from this medication and just discontnued it.  If your pressure was high you could have a stroke and most doctors tell you never to discontinue your blood pressure medicine but they usually aren't taking it and have no idea of the side effects.

• Posted

I have been on this awful medication for two months after perindopril causing my reynauds syndrome.At first I was fine then slowly the side effects started,headaches,palpitations and a racing heart,tummy pains,constant hot flushes,insomnia yet I'm shattered all day long and lack of appetite,a couple of mouthfuls of dinner and I'm done,pains in my knees.After another night of no sleep I have been to the Drs today who looked at me and basically said you have read the side effects leaflet,yes I have and the medications is affecting me badly.She wanted to put me on another drug from the same family which I declined,I've never felt so ill.I have come away with candesartan 2mg to start but as long as I'm off of this awful medication I don't care.I eat healthily,I exercise,high BP runs in my family.Im wondering how long for this medication to leave my system I want my life back.
  • Posted

Fear not dear lady, My doctor was very understanding after I had related many of the symptoms of which you reported.  Previously my blood pressure had been around the 163 to 180 mark before I was put on Amolodopine so stopping the tablet was because of the side effects.  I had been off the tablet for about three weeks and bought an  Omron BP meter.  I was surprised to note that my BP had dropped to 125ish and when I reported this to the GP he suggested I do not take a replacement pill. I am already on Anapril, Statin, aspirin and monomil.  Now after taking a daily walk of a mile or so my blood presure had steadied around 120 although it has often dropped to below that.  The secret for me is walking a dog. I go out in all weathers and sometimes ask myself if I am crazy but it's worked. I feel OK and in just over two months I shall be eighty.
    • Posted

This is amazing! Health care is not what it used to be. Your dog is lucky to have you.
  • Posted

This is good to hear,been off of these for four days now,no more headaches or knee pain or tummy pains,hallelujah,but I've been left with bouts of feeling hot but not normal flushes just around my middle area and really hot and also my skin isn't good,but these I can deal with,hoping I begin to sleep properly now so that I don't feel so tired and sluggish,onwards and upwards.
  • Posted

Have just seen these posts, it's awful to read how many people are affected by this drug! I was the same, I am 38 and not normally prescribed to younger people but my BP was very high and it's very good at reducing BP very quickly, I was taking for approximately 9 months and I had been suffering for a while but didn't consider it might be amlodipine! I felt very depressed, didn't sleep well, and most nights I would wake up with a dead leg! which was awful! The GP said that I must be laying on it but I knew that something was wrong, one day I woke up with my foot swollen and brused and somehow it was broken! I think amlodipine damages nervous and causes depression, it took a few months to feel better after this awful drug! I take ramapril now with a few side effects but nothing that affects my life! Amlodipine is in my opinion a terrible drug! Never again! I hope you all get sorted and discuss any fears with GP , it's your body, my GP told me that bloodpressure fluctuates daily and he is mainly concerned with people who have an increase which is over 160/100 constantly and increasing he says that the body's way of showing a problem, but most people BP is always up and down and my BP reached 200/110 but can also be 119/78 so it's weird! I eat beetroot and broccoli soup daily which is supposed to be good for you and I exercise daily, I do drink weekly and eat in restaurants because I want to enjoy myself, I do yoga and have realised that stress is very dangerous on the body and try many ways to relax, good luck with your medication and try not to panic as this will make it worse
    • Posted

Doctor prescribed Amlodipine last year after my BP spiked to the highest levels ever in the 200/120 ranges.  I was already taking high dosage of Lisinopril and Atenolol - had been for many years, but for some reason suddenly they did not seem to work.  Before taking Amlodipine i decided to research online about the drug and did not like what I read, so I never took it.  Instead, i made some diet changes (low salt etc..) and tried to relax a bit more, i was in such a panic state because of it.  What happened after that is pure luck - i wanted to add magnesium supplements to my diet so I went online to find out which type of mag was the best for me, i decided to go with Magnesium glycinate because multiple sites were claiming that it was the one that helped BP to go down, so I thought why not.  I started about 6 months ago, I am taking 1 pill of mag daily (the normal dosage is 3-4 which is the recommended daily of 400mg) since i already get enough mag from food and my Centrum.  I monitor my BP almost daily and it has been a constant 95/67-110/80 since that time.  Is it the mag glycinate?  have no idea..but i like to believe it is.  I am also still taking low dosage of lisinopril (20mga day) and atenolol (50mg a day) and i just reorder another bottle of magnesium glycinate on Amazon - until proven otherwise, i believe this is what regulates my crazy BP..  I just wanted to pass that on to others.  
  • Posted

Meds are loaded on you as you age by Docs.

Amlodipine was taken by me for 3 months and it did lower my BP ..however having BPH

I noticed that it also caused my prostate to swell ...even a 2.5mg/d  ...just took myself off and already seeing an improvement

already..This drug can swell up a lot of things and the prostate should not be one of those things..Good luck on your attempt to

seek possible diet plus exercise..to attain your BP goals. It may not

affect others this way..but be aware ...

• Posted

Hi Colibri - last year my doctor prescribed the drug when I was going thru a terrific episode of elevated BP and my regular meds did not seem to work - lisinopril and atenolol.  Before taking the new drug, i researched online what the true side effects were and got scared so I never took Almopidine, i still have it unopened on the counter.  What i did instead is increase lisinopril to one more pill, eliminate salt and try to relax more...the high bp numbers had put me in such a state of panic.  It eventually came down to close to normal, with the regular ups and down.  i also increase my magnesium, after researching which mag was best, i went with 'glycinate', and a miracle happened - my BP went straight down.  I take 200mgs (2 capsules a day, morn/evening), monitor my BP every other day at around the same, between 12-4pm and keep a record of the numbers, with small variations the numbers are always between 97/69 with days of 107/79.  Yes, i know that it probably goes higher the rest of the time but I don't care, I am just happy with my 12-4pm readings and the bonus, they also remove all the anxiety and stress that elevated bp puts u in
    • Posted

Hi kaleani75551. By increasing your dosage of the Lisinipril, you took a risk. Never should anyone increase or decrease medication without first consulting their doctor. You mentioned taking 200mgs (2 caps/day) of Magnesium "Glycinate"..morn/evening. Did you mean you take them either in the morning, OR evening? 

A bp reading of 97/69 is too low. 107/79 is ok..but a bit on the low side. This would be good if you were diabetic, as it's a common practise to try to keep bp readings of a diabetic on the low side. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.