This drug?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Isn't this drug for depression?  Seems odd it has its own page and that many people struggle with this drug.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Mirtazapine has been very successful in treating my depression. It suits some people but not others.
  • Posted

I do not think it is odd that there is a forum about mirtazapine.

These forums are dominated  by people who are struggling because they are the ones who need help.  People who are not struggling rarely bother to post.    

• Posted

Why does itseem odd? It is used for depression and like many anti-depressants people can struggle with finding the right one for their needs, some might not find out its wrong for them until much further down the line when their bodies have become addicted so they struggle to come off them so this forum is to try to help people with that!
  • Posted

I agree with you Missy,This drug is for Depprestion.

when you have forums from A-Z of illnesses,then you have a medication in the middle of them (Mirtazapine) is beyond me. Depprestion should just be under Depprestion.

You don't get the name of any other medication,in the A-Z of any other illnesses.

So your right WHY?

Example you would have Underactive Thyroid,not the medication for it.

• Posted

If you look under Discussion Forums you will find many sub-forums such as Brain and Nerves.   I have looked at several of those forums and every one of those has at least one sub-sub-forum about a particular drug.  

If you find the group for thyroidism  you will find a menu on the right hand side which has all the sub-forums and among those are lots of drugs !       

• Posted

Look under Forum,not discussions. 

Of cause there's a Forum for Brain and Nerves,because Brain and Nerves are an illness.

Im talking FORUMS not DISCUSSTIONS.   Yes you can look up medication for a certain illness,but that's not the point I'm makeing.

I believe you either want someone to have a discussion with or an argument ( which your getting through me) because you just don't seem to understand what's being said unless it's in agreement with you.

LOOK UP FORUMS!!!!

• Posted

Oldboy, I'm not a person who cannot apologise, and I've just been going through the forums,and I genuinely apologise .Re reading your post I think I've misunderstood you,so sorry.

But I will still stick to my guns about the fact of WD.

• Posted

I'm not sure why there is an issue or question about this but we have groups for many medications across all types. The A-Z is not just illnesses but conditions and medicines. Some of the most popular groups are the medicine groups. This is because users want specific information or to ask about treatments like Mirtazapine rather than about depression for example. If this hasn't answered any query reply here and I can advise further if required.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Wow...I didn't mean to start a "hostile" discussion...LOL.

I didn't ever hear of the drug and was curious as to why it had its own page...simple.

Because Citalopram is discussed widely and numerous times on the depression board and every drug does not have its own discussion board.

To me a drug being seperated out from a typical area like "Depression" signals...a PROBLEM drug to me.

I think if a Dr,. prescribe this to me...because it was seperated out on the forum....I would pass.....seems to be too troublesome to most taking it or withdrawing from it.

• Posted

Hi Missy2, I would just like to tell you not to take Roses comment to heart,l believe she was directing that to old boy .  As he don't seem to have any compassion for people who are struggling with WD from Mirtazapine .

So I don't think she intended on offending you.

• Posted

I have compassion for people anybody who is in trouble.  What you and Rose do not understand is that these forums are not only for expressing that.   If I post something positive about mirtazapine you take it as if it were an insult, and resort to making personal comments about me.   That is not in the spirit of these forums.         
  • Posted

I think it has it's own page because its so powerful.. It's one of the most powerful/life changing meds (of course it differs from person to person).

Also yes, whilst it is a top notch AD the side effects are sometimes too hard to handle and cause more problems for the sufferer than benefits..

It is an amazing drug and it's a powerful drug, but with any strong drug the problems are so common..

Too many people have issues with it, I'm glad it has it's own page, I'm struggling with it and this is the only place I can info that I need.

But yeah.. It's an important drug. 

• Posted

Hi Sllymyr, I think a lot depends on what you were given it for,and how long your on it for.  If you need it for life then you obviously will never have a problem with it,but it's when people try to WD that's when the problem begins.  What is the point in a powerful drug if it causes so much distress?

Im not questioning how well it works for a lot of people.

What I do object to is people who have never WD from this drug cheering it on.  If you've tried both sides then you have the right to an oppinion.

I know to many people who have WD from this drug that have had such a lot of suffering,and that includes myself.

• Posted

I hesitate to enter this discussion, but I do feel qualified to comment on mirtazapine. I have taken it for more than six years, in combination with venlafaxine, for depression and anxiety, and together they have saved my sanity and given me back my life. I did try to start withdrawal from mirtazapine a few months back, since I had been more than a year symptom-free, but even the smallest reduction gave me unacceptable withdrawal effects. The psychiatrist never mentioned that there would be problems, but I haven't seen him since to tell him about the experience. Strangely, I find I can miss the occasional part-dose of venlafaxine without noticing any difference, and that is reckoned to have bad withdrawal effects. However I don't regret taking either of them, even if I do have to continue on them. I agree that withdrawal effects do need to be considered when deciding to start on any antidepressant. But they have to be balanced against the benefits.
    • Posted

You have no need to hesitatate Pixie,because you have tried both sides of the coin.  You can only have an oppinion in my book in what you've experienced.  Your right in what you say the WD symptoms are not recognised by Doctors.  I wish you luck in which ever way you choose to go.

Take care 

• Posted

I am currently withdrawing from this drug after ballooning from 6st 9lbs to 11st 9lbs.

I have dealt with both sides. 

I am confused ? Are you assumning I am supporting this drug ? Because it my case I look at it as poison.

People can 'cheer on' a drug if it has helped them. I dont thinka anyone has the right to say 'no, your opinion is invalid because you're not suffering the negative side'.

I look at this drug from BOTH points of view, despite only suffering negative effects. There is no need to be hostile towards those who have greatly benefitted from it.. Unless I'm understanding your comments wrong ?

• Posted

No I'm not assuming you support this drug.  I think I am being taken all wrong here.

Firstly I would like to make the point here that ANY DRUG people choose to take, if it works for you GREAT.

My point being if your on a drug that you have NEVER withdrawn from,whether it be a good WD or a bad WD,how can you make an honest oppinion on something you've never experienced whether it be good or bad.

Example that's like telling people you understand what it's like to have a panic attack if you've never had one.  It's just simple common sense .

l do not intend on offending anyone.  Would you or anyone else appreciate being told by anyone something that they know nothing about. Surely you can see where I'm comeing from.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

You are not being taken wrongly here.

I have already told you many times why I have posted on this forum so will not repeat it again. 

I have never commented on withdrawal from mirtazapine.

• Posted

Sorry I thought you were replying to me.  I have just noticed that you were in fact replying to sllymyr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.