This Hook floopy toe is really starting to worry me!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was really happy when I first saw the results of my new bungion free big toe. I had a scarf Osteotomy with a soft tendon release on the second and third toe. However the second toe flopped down and hooks over. I mentioned this to the consultant and was told it would be ok when I walk but I have managed to slip my slippers on as they are quite loose but on doing this the toe curls up in the slipper and is uncomfortable.. Has anyone else had this problem? I am terrified I will have to have another operation to straighten the toe and anoth six weeks of not being able to walk, but even worse I don't think I can live with my toe doing this.. I feel so upset... 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had exactly the same, mine used to fall down and it felt like I was standing on it. I had my first foot done last august with the tendon lengthened on the second toe. My surgeon showed me how to make a little sling with the micro pore tape. If you run a length of tape from the front of your big toe, under the second toe and then secure it on the front of the third toe you will have made a little sling for your second toe. 

I did that for what seemed like months not believing that it would eventually right itself but it does. The tendon heals and shortens itself. When exercising just keep trying to raise your toes, they don't move much but you will see that overtime your second toe doesn't drop as much. We are now 6 months on from my surgery and it is exactly the same as all my other toes and has been like that for a few months so hang in there, it will come right. Good luck. Amanda

• Posted

Amanda, 

I saw your answer to Swampiesue and I am so happy to hear that your tendon shortened!  I had a Lapidus surgery where they fused the bones together up further in the foot.  From the beginning I have not been able to curl my big toe down, but over time I have been able to do it a little.  The main problem I have is a tendon that is too long after they fused the bones which made them shorter.  So my toe doesnt get the signal to curl under and then it won't stay down.  I have worked with it a lot and have wondered if it was really a possibility for that long tendon to shorten because when I walk it is floppy and doesnt grip the ground like the toe should.  I have been afraid of needing more surgery as well.  It has been 3 1/2 months since my surgery.  How long did you have to tape your toe, and it isn't floppy at all?

Thanks,

Nancy

• Posted

Hi

I had the same operation as you and my second toe is slightly curved . My consultant had told me to excercise the toe by wriggling it up and down and also by moving the toe back and forward by hand. Did you have pins in them or a screw?

• Posted

Hi both of you, I forgot to mention my second and third toe are very long, the same as my big toe more or less, also I am unable to move the toe with my brain, only with my hands... Will I still be able to follow your instructions? I must say what you say does give me hope... Start 1456 I did I had screws in my big toe, nothing in the other two.x 
  • Posted

Also when exercising your toes how did you do that Nd how often please ? 
    • Posted

I have a small screw in my second toe on both feet to keep it straight.

The excercises I am suppose to do it every couple of hours for 10 minutes.

I just hold the toe from the the top and bend it back gently and then forward for about 5 minutes then do the same with the big toe for 5 minutes. That's supposed to help with getting the flexibility back.

• Posted

Amanda, 

I saw your answer to Swampiesue and I am so happy to hear that your tendon shortened!  I had a Lapidus surgery where they fused the bones together up further in the foot.  From the beginning I have not been able to curl my big toe down, but over time I have been able to do it a little.  The main problem I have is a tendon that is too long after they fused the bones which made them shorter.  So my toe doesnt get the signal to curl under and then it won't stay down.  I have worked with it a lot and have wondered if it was really a possibility for that long tendon to shorten because when I walk it is floppy and doesnt grip the ground like the toe should.  I have been afraid of needing more surgery as well.  It has been 3 1/2 months since my surgery.  How long did you have to tape your toe, and it isn't floppy at all?

Thanks,

Nancy

• Posted

Hi Nancy, I wore the sling for I think about 4 months. The other thing you can do is to tape it to one of the toes on either side but I felt that they rubbed at the end of the day when everything starts to swell as it does at the end of the day.ni had my second foot done in December and had the second toe tendons re routed which is a different thing again! That is still stiff and swollen but still early days
  • Posted

i mean I repeat the back and forward motion for 5 minutes .
  • Posted

Ok, I shall try that, I will also make a slig as suggested and have a chat with my consultant, hopefully he will have a bit more time with me than the last time I saw him, winch was rather rushed... I feel. Bit better now, plus the glasses of red wine lol 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.