This is my 2nd Bartholin abscess but cannot afford to go back to the ER. Advice??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am on my second bartholin abscess in just a few months. My first experience was absolutely terrible! I got a cyst that developed after a rough camping trip that included lots of activity and swimming in lakes. it was uncomfortable but painless for a week but then grew into an abscess. It was painful enough to bring me to the ER where they tried and failed to insert a word catheter. OB was called and the doctor said they usually like these to just resolve on their own. She sent me home with antibiotics, but nothing for pain. The pain after the squeezing and laceration from the catheter insertion attempt was unbearable and made the abscess worse. Finally after 4 days it popped on its own, but i still owe the hospital $800 after insurance. Now, 2 months later, the abscess is back with a vengance! I noticed it on tuesday when I was taking a bath. It was the size of a marble and painless. By Wednesday it had grown twice in size and was red and painful. Now it is Saturday, it is the size of a large egg, and i havent been able to get out of bed without experiencing nearly unbearable pain. Ive tried plenty of home remedies such as epsom salt baths 4-5 times a day, tea tree oil, and soaking with whitch hazel, but nothing is working! I have missed too much work already and cannot afford to go back to the hospital (plus I have lost faith in their ability to do anything helpful given my latest experience). I'm about ready to try to pop it myself with a needle it is so painful! I dont know what to do. Should I keep waiting doing what Im doing??? HELP!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

i think u have only option that is cyst excision. if you are ok with surgery you can go for that.

hope u will

• Posted

hope u will cure soon

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear what you're going through. I've been there. You need to see an OBGYN ASAP. The last bartholin ABCESS I had put me in the hospital for 1 week. I had sepsis from the infection and almost died. There are some women that will tell you to just work with it and be natural. That doesn't work if you're dead. There's a huge difference between a CYST and an ABCESS. If you start to get a fever go to the ER immediately.

Godspeed

Penny

• Posted

Listen I really feel for you but in your circumstances you really need to be seen by a doctor, forgive me I'm in England so your gynecologist people are probably who you should be seeing. You need to be on antibiotics and should have been from a few days ago so you've already left it too long. The previous advice is right, sepsis could be a problem if you do nothing, even though it's only a possibility you don't want to go there. I know in your country treatment can be expensive but generally once you've had one bartholins you'll get more and they come up quick. Get some medical advice, do the sitz baths etc and concentrate on getting well. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for the advice! I decided to go to the hospital the next morning but upon taking another bath at 1am it started to drain finally! Im still really scared of dealing with this again and Im still sore and swollen but the pain is gone. Im taking baths and soaking with witch hazel, but I dont know if there is anything else that I should be doing to keep this from reinfecting.

• Posted

even it drains itself, should use antibiotics else it will infect and leads another cyst. consult your gyno soon. dont leave untreated.

• Posted

I'm so glad that it finally started to drain by itself and you're doing the right things so it'll heal now after a while. You might not ever have another, fingers crossed, but there isn't anything special you can do to stop it from happening again. Keep yourself super clean down there and don't wear your jeans too tight was the advice I got and it's been 5 years since my last. Once it's gone you wont even know there's been anything wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.