This is my third ultrasound in the last 4 months. Should I be concerned?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My (general) practioner sent me in for a pelvic tv ultrasound in October after some pains I had been having. I got a message back later that month that everything was fine but in December had to see her again because of sickness which is when I was told I had two large cysts and needed another ultrasound. Got the second ultrasound done and my doctor sent me on to an OBGYN. OBGYN looked at reports from both x-rays said that I have (had) large (complex) cysts on both ovaries and was ready to send me home with birth control. I questioned about no comparisons made (which there should have been) between the reports excepting that ovaries were on different side which is when OB reluctunly decided to call back ultrasound place and get them to redo the reports. Three weeks later I finally am hearing back from OB's office, they want me to go get another ultrasound done to get a better look at ovary and cysts (I guess they discovered cysts were all on same side after report was redone). Should I be concerned about having to get a third ultrasound done or is this normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Not normal to have that many ultrasounds they should be thinking of investigating via laproscopy now and ca125 blood test
  • Posted

I would of thought that if the ultra sound didn't show enough results they would be doing more blood tests and even arranging a ct or mri scan.

I was complaining about severe bloating. They booked me in for an ultra sound (after they ruled out IBS) where they could only see a lot of fluid in my stomach so they booked me in for a ct scan where they found a 36cm cyst and due to being in agony I had it removed Sunday jus gone.

I would request they do more blood tests and book you for a more detailed scan like a mri or ct scan of the ultra sound is vague.

Hope you get sorted. smile

• Posted

I had this pain but only did me one ultrasound scan and said it was fine, in the meantime I was still having pain so I went to A&E the next day they done my bloods and they said everything was fine but this time they gave me outpatients appointment for my pain they said it wasn't infected as my stomach was soft.  And if there saying your having another ultrasound, then they know best, hope you get it sorted and get better soon.
  • Posted

Hi there,

Unfortunately ultrasounds are not as definitive with showing cysts and masses as CT scans so what they have picked up may not be as accurate meaning they're wanting to get a clearer image. It is poor that the first images were not clear enough for them to come to a conclusion but saying that, this is mainly to check that there is no fluid around the cysts to suggest rupture etc I think. It is just precautionary as you keep complaining of these abdominal pains which get worse, which could be why theyre updating records to reassure you they're not ruptured etc

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.