this is period talk - i’m scared and can’t put a tampon in !!

Posted , 4 users are following.

ok so i am 13 years old and i’m nearly 14. i have had my period for six months now and all i have ever used is pads and panty liners. i really want to start using tampons because they’re much easier and they are a lot more comfy. I have tried about a million times to insert one but everytime i try, it feels really uncomfortable and i feel as if i’m putting it in wrong. it also feels really odd and sometimes slightly painful. i have tried with an applicator and without but i can’t seem to do it. every time i try and cant do it, i get really annoyed at myself and sometimes i get really really scared and start shaking and sometimes i cry. i really really want this and if i do it, i know i’ll be really happy ! can anyone help ?? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bethan, as a 14 year old, I went through a similar struggle a few months ago. Eventually I gave up and went back to pads. If pads are uncomfy, you might just need a different size or make. If you are feeling actual pain when trying to use a tampon, that might be a sign of something wrong. It‘s probably nothing but it might be best to double check with an adult or GP.
    • Posted

Thanks, I don't think I am feeling hard pain when attempting to insert it, I think it is just me being scared and nervous so I am tensing up when I need to relax but I will double check with an adult just in case. Thanks for replying ! smile

• Posted

I'm nearly 20 and I've never used a tampon and Ive had my period since I literally just turned 12. I'm always scared to use them as well but I've just figured that pads are best for me. Plus on my period I sleep for long periods of time and you can't leave your tampon in for more than about 6 hours I think. It's all up to you, you just need to figure out what's best for you there are many things out there smile

• Posted

Using a tampon for the first, or even the fourth time can be tricky, but it shouldn’t hurt. Are you using a proper sized tampon? If it isn’t inserted all the way you could experience some discomfort. The most important thing is to relax when inserting a tampon- take a deep breath and un-tense all your muscles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.