this is ruining my life

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone, as you all know I suffer from dropped heartbeats (pvcs) I also get booms bangs and flutters. All very scary. But this last week I have noticed my heart beats fast after meal and will stay fast for a couple of hours after. I also feel a fullness in my chest. Not painful just uncomfortable. My heart rate stays around 100bpm with some skips thrown in.for good measure. These heart episodes are ruining my life. Doctors cant find anything wrong apart from the pre mature beats. Im scared to do anything and now Im even scared to eat meal! Im taking bisoprolol 1.25 mgs but this does nothing. (Was taking 2.5 mgs but I was feeling the skips much more so we reduced it) has anyone experienced this before? How did you cope with it?

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Make sure you are well hydrated. Cut out the caffeine (coffee, tea, cola, etc.). Do not take any amphetamines, diet pills or the like. Have your thyroid levels checked (a mere blood test). I've had these PACs since I was 18 yo. I'm now 72 and still get them occasionally. Last Fall I found out my thyroid meds had to be reduced. The PACs stopped within 3 days of taking the lower dose.
  • Posted

I also get fast strong heartbeats after eating, and the skips, i have had so many tests over the years ,everything comes back Ok but the flutters have been picked up, i am 68 and have learnt to live with it, it does affect my life and makes me feel depressed, sometimes i wonder if i get depressed because i have to put up with this or i,m depressed so i get the symptoms.

• Posted

I also get fast strong heartbeats after eating, and the skips, i have had so many tests over the years ,everything comes back Ok but the flutters have been picked up, i am 68 and have learnt to live with it, it does affect my life and makes me feel depressed, sometimes i wonder if i get depressed because i have to put up with this or i,m depressed so i get the symptoms.It does affect the quality of my life and i do get the feeling i may die.   I have come to the conclusion that some of us are born with this condition.

• Posted

I'm not a doctor. I'm a person who has suffered from svt for over 20 years. I had an ablation 2 years ago and it was only partially successful. Any heart problem is scary. After reading your post I felt compelled to sign up and reply. This is what's worked for me at keeping my heart rate lower. It's the pain medicine hydrocodone. I know this sounds crazy but it actually has worked very well at keeping my heart rate a little lower and I'm able to tolerate it much better than metoprolol which i refuse to take now . I was only able to tolerate metoprolol for 4 days and it caused me to have many pvc's . I do not take any other meds right now other than the hydrocodone which I was taking for a completely different issue (back and neck injury) but what I found Is that the hydrocodone actually lowers my resting pulse rate and keeps the pvc's away . My avg resting pulse rate is around 64-69 . I'm just telling you what's worked for me so maybe ask your cardiologist is this could help you . I understand it sounds nuts but it really does help me big time
  • Posted

That's a great description booms, bangs and flutters!

Like many of you I have suffered for 10 years ( I guess the thing we need to reinforce is that we are all still here). It does make life hell when they are playing up. I get them whilst quite especially the flutters and raised beats. I also get booms when exercising ( in my laymans terms it's due to an increased heart rate therefore a more intense PVC hence a huge Thump!!!!

I suffer reflux specifically in the duodenal area which I believe contributes to the palps.

I was also taking bisoprolol and have suffered with more PVCs whilst on them and a very very low pulse rate on a night I have had all of the tests ( barely any have caught anything at all) and like most of you I suspect show a structurally normal which is great but the consultants

Usually say you'll be fine, nothing to worry about..... But it can't be helped.... It's your main engine so your going to worry!

It has gotten to the stage with me that I sit Herat wnscsi

• Posted

Sorry fat fingers pressed reply too earl on my last, what I was saying really is that I had a great cardiologist say to me don't become a cardio cripple ! Ie don't not do things because you think your heart can't do them. I have to confess that they have ruled me and to a certain extent I have as I restrict where I go ( I need familiar surrounds, access to hospitals and doctors etc quickly if needed) that is spoiling my life and has made me slightly agoraphobia in one way. I really want to beat it, I have seen councillors who say if it's health anxiety to not react and put it out of your mind and not to run to the docs! However when I tell them it's real heart palps they panic and tell me it's probably best to get it checked as its your heart you never know! Hence councillors in my book do not work. These forums help to compare with others and help you to realise your not alone and not mad....... Well not that mad anyway
    • Posted

According to my GP 'thumps' are more indicative of ectopic beats.

It is agreed that reflux has a great bearing on palpitations.

• Posted

With reflux and cardiac syptoms being so similar I just keep on going and ignore them. On one of my worst days ever I flew to Florida on holiday convinced that I would not be coming back:-)

• Posted

I understand I haven't been abroad in over 10 years because of it!! I really want to as well
    • Posted

I know everyone gets ectopic and palps of some description however only the unlucky few feel them.

I think it's something to do with stomach position in relation to the heart and vagus nerve. As the stomach bloats and gets irritated it puts pressure on the VN or pericardium and stimulates the beats. ( it's a laymans view )or something similar I was able to point out every ectopic to the radiographer whilst on a stress test and he was amazed that without equipment I could accurately point them out

• Posted

As I always say we know and are used to our own bodies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.