This is the first time I have posted on this site but I...

Posted , 1 user is following.

This is the first time I have posted on this site but I have found it so useful reading the experiences of people suffering the same symptoms as me.

I was a really fit and well person until October 2006. Suddenly I started getting palpitations, breathlessness, dizziness etc. To cut a long story short after 3 visits to A&E and an admission to hospital for a week where I had all the cardiac tests including an angiogram, I was told my heart is fine (but the symptoms continued).

My GP thinks it is all to do with stress/anxiety but is brilliant and got me a gastroscopy which showed moderate oesophagitis. Prescribed PPIs which gave some nasty side effects but have now found one which I can tolerate a bit better but it hasn't stopped the painful burning and aching chest completely. Also some foods really cause me a lot of discomfort.

I am currently having a series of respiratory tests and a stomach ultrasound but nothing has shown up yet.

My question is: does anyone else get really breathless with oesophagitis/acid reflux? From being so fit I can now not even do light activities like housework/gardening/walking etc without getting really breathless and having to rest. Has anyone else experienced this and if so have you any advice? Does it get better eventually?

I hate feeling so unfit. I am 56 but have always kept really active and looked after my health. My energy level now is zilch.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

[i:d56469e066]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d56469e066]

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi hun,sorry to hear that you are not feeling well.I can sympathise with you on the breathless query.Before I had my gall bladder removed in 2005 I used to do a really vigourous work out at my local gym.I had the operation and now I find that instead of burning the 2000 cals I used to burn off in the gym I get to 1000 or 1500 (if I am pushing myself hard) and I am absolutely knackered.I have noticed that the tabs I am on (Nexium 40mg) dont help and this is why I demanded to my doctor that he did something about it

Hope this helps,

Debs xxxxxx

[i:21b19ca0a5]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:21b19ca0a5]

• Posted

My message is number 23 if this helps in any way

[i:7d19650f67]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7d19650f67]

• Posted

Hi Debs - thanks for your reply. Apart from the breathlessness I have now got an awful lump feeling in my throat and swallowing is quite difficult. My oesophagus also feels sore. My GP has put me on motillium which is supposed to make the food pass through the digestive system quicker which is supposed to help but so far no improvement. I'm also on protium for the acid but I don't think they do a lot of good and am suggesting to my GP that I come off them. Sometimes I think all the medication just makes things worse. Feeling pretty misearble at the moment. Will this ever go away?

Hope you are feeling a bit better. It's just such a relief to hear that other people are battling with this.

Bye the way - My name is Mare.

Best wishes.

[i:d698670328]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d698670328]

• Posted

Mare,sorry to hear that you ae feeling unwell.I am taking Nexium and Motillium (the Motillium has been perscribed to me as an emergency tablet but at the moment every day is an emergency so I have had to stop it so frequently as i dont want to become dependant on it) I was without the Nexium for 7 days before the manotery test and I felt pretty rough but now I have gone back on the Nexium for a week now and I feel exactly the same as if I wasnt taking it.Yesterday I had a particularly bad attack where I had to come home from work feeling very poorly.Apart from the permenant lump in my throat and the heartburn to die for,I had stomach cramps,dizziness and I felt sick and was sick when I got home.I felt so drained that I took myself to bed for a couple of hours and felt marginally better.You know the worst thing about this disease/ailment is: I used to be a bubbly character and a socialite,now I feel I cant go out and have a real good time because I feel so miserable and I feel it has changed me so much into someone i hardly recognise,this is why I feel for me the surgery is my last option to get my life back on track :headhurts::headhurts::headhurts::headhurts:

[i:2a0361d084]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2a0361d084]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.