This is wierd.... Please help?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All, I started in the tablets on Wednesday and I am finding it very strange...having ad some experiences in my time nothing compares to Thursday at work in the bathroom...I'm sure you all no where I'm coming from...

This some what puts me off and i cant seem to get my head around it. My Gp Never said i would have these things go on and also he never explained about amount of Fat which you should be having in the daily diet. I have red some of your posts and have seen you are all quoting about grams of fat..or at least it think its that...Can I ask for some advice please... I am taking these with a low fat low calorie diet and am taking vitamins with it to...Is this right... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Advice please lady's

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes i know where your coming from and my doctor was also not very helpful with information on taking these tablets!!!

But from my experience and from what i have read on this forum, you should have no more than 30g of fat a day, or there will be consequences :oops:

Try to limit yourself to no more than 15g of fat per meal, over your 3 meals a day (breakfast, lunch, and tea), it seems impossible to start with, but once you get used to what you can and can't eat its much easier!! Keep a diary of food and its fat content if that helps. And get as much info as you can from reading on this forum, i have found it very useful.

Good luck

• Posted

My nurse is very supportive but I must admit I gleaned most information and advice from this forum. Most people seem to work it out like this-

No more than 30g of fat in a day, of which no more than 15g per meal. I start the day with a low fat breakfast such as Special K or Mini Honey Weetabix. I allow myself 400ml of 1% fat milk which totals 4g of fat, 1.5 g of fat for my Good for You Hot chocolate I can't do without at bedtime, less than 10g of fat for lunch and the rest for tea. I make sure I have enough grams of fat left after my main meal so I can treat myself to a weight watchers pudding or weetos bar as a pudding. Sometimes I treat myself to a packet of baked crisps or a snack a jack if I'm feeling really hungry and have enough grams of fat left.

Take your vitamins at nighttime with a small glass of milk or low fat hot chocolate as the tablets can prevent the vitamins being absorbed.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

• Posted

I have just started orlistat

My dietician and the drug company recommend 45 - 60g a day expecting a third to be not absorbed. Right at 15g per meal though.

It is just as important to make sure your getting enough fat as it is to cut down. Without enough fat it is very difficult for your body to absorb certain nutrients such as vitamin c. Dont forget the 'normal' avg daily fat intake for a man is 70-80g.

The whole point of this drug is to guide you and teach you to achieve a NORMAL food regime. It's not a good idea to crash drop any thing too much, yes yup will lose weight a bit quicker but you won't keep it off and you will be forming unhealthy long term habits.

You can't take this drug for the rest of your life so you need to get it right from the get go.

Wishing you health and luck.

• Posted

[quote=\"Aesthetician \"]I have just started orlistat

My dietician and the drug company recommend 45 - 60g a day expecting a third to be not absorbed. Right at 15g per meal though.

sorry but that's not correct the amount of fat you should be taking is no more than 30g's of full fat per day and no more than 15g's at anyone meal. If you go over you will get the side affects.

On another note:

Even if the GP/nurse are not giving you full instruction are you not reading the leaflet that came with the tablets ? surely no one is taking tablets without reading the leaflets to make sure that they know all the possible side affects and if they have any ailments which mean they shouldn't be taking them.?

• Posted

I agree that can't be right if I reach the 15g of fat I get warnings from my stomach and my stools are loose . There is no way that I would lose weight if I upped my fat intake and i'm sure we'd be sat on the loo all day !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.