This may be "gross" but....

Posted , 13 users are following.

Has anyone else experienced bleeding from the rectum from pmr/prednisone? I know this sounds insane, but it started happening to me a couple of hours ago. Never happened before! I DO have Crohn's disease as well, but I've had that for 2-3yrs and not experienced this! Advice?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

not that , but had   dark discharge from  womb.   doc says it is thinig  of the womb   gave me meds to insert,  and all clear now  thank goodness  
  • Posted

You need to see a doctor...ASAP. You can get other illnesses alongside PMR. Blood from rectum could be anything but you do need to get this checked out...NOW! Good luck.
  • Posted

My experience...internal bleeding from diverticulitis (red blood) and an esophageal ulcer(black blood)... at the same time. Had to stop Eliquis for a while, take carafate and pantoprazole, plus had an egd. Had 2 CT scans for diverticulitis.

Cannot say this was PMR or prednisone related. My cranky bod is coming up with it's own issues to complicate things.

Going to the ER yielded one CT. Later, my dr did another to make sure I was healing.

By all means, call the doctor and talk to the nurse.

Am back on Eliquis but watching for signs of internal bleeding. A bit shell shocked.

Don't forget about the possibility of hemeroids. The dr suggested that, but knew the black bleeding meant trouble. The diverticulitis caused fever, pain, bad blood counts.

Your Crohn's is so serious. The dr. will probably check that first. It might be the issue.

My motto. "When in doubt, check it out." Do take care.

MariGrace

• Posted

One of the side effects of Pred. is thinning of the skin and many of us have had to wear permanent long sleeves when gardening. But these are just little minor annoyances. Bleeding from any body orifice always needs investigation. With me it was a couple of spectacular nose bleeds, something I'd never had before but easily fixed and has never returned. Put your mind at rest ASAP.

• Posted

Hi lynda62707

Prednisolone will help with Chrohns disease so i don't think it is anything to do with preds. You may have an anal fissure or haemorroids. Get it checked by your doctor who can prescribe cream for these conditions.....

• Posted

You do need to see a doctor as soon as possible. It could just be haemorrhoids but it might not be. Pred does tend to increase the fragility of small blood vessels and make it harder to stop bleeding once it starts - hence the amount of bruising some people experience when on pred. 
  • Posted

A quick update....my bleeding continued for 3-4hrs. It stopped overnight. About 2hrs ago, it has slightly started again, albeit not a lg. amount. I probably should add that I've been taking an abnormally lg. amount of "Excedrin" lately due to my morning wake-ups with headaches! I actually had taken more of it about 1hr. prior to the return of the bleeding. So, I don't know😕. I'll keep monitoring it over the next few hours.

• Posted

Excedrin can cause bleeding as it contains aspirin.
  • Posted

We're all different but I hadn't this in the spring, so stopped eating beetroot, then stopped paracetemol as I thought it might be that, then thought it be pred, or too much wine, then gave dr a sample, massive dose of antibiotics, he thought maybe diverticulitis so I went privately for a colonoscopy (yuk) now waiting for date for bowel surgery to have malignant tumour removed. I have bowel cancer and I'm 53.

go to dr tomorrow and don't delay!

Bowel cancer is common and curable so just get a diagnosis! 

• Posted

Omg....you've got me scared now. That's not something I've even thought about!....and I don't know why, it's always been my GREAT fear! Can't even stand to say the word! I'll call my gastro doc in awhile!

• Posted

Sorry - I'm not obese, I don't smoke, I'm not an alcoholic, no family history just bad luck...x

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you get your surgery date quickly and need no further treatment. Good luck with the operation and I wish you a speedy recovery.

xx

• Posted

Reassure us all when you've been to the GP and it's just piles which I'm sure it is. I just don't want you to dismiss it

x

• Posted

And I'm afraid I've lost all interest in my PMR pains now. I just take the pills, eat, sleep, repeat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.