This sprain is testing my patience :(

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a grade-2 ankle sprain with possible ligament tear back in April. It didn't require surgery just used POP slab and usual RICE method. Now after months of physio, the ankle still doesn't feel normal. There's not much pain and swelling has pretty much gone, but there's this awkward feel while walking. I have plantar fasciitis. My gait hasn't been back to normal yet. Went to my ortho doc yesterday and he said it'll probably never be back to normal again and gave an example of his own 10 year old ankle sprain that is still giving him trouble till now. So does it ever get better? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

i have had same thing,,, let me ask you we may help each others

How long have you been in slab??

The slab was placed around ankle only or from ankle to knee??

Do you feel limited range of motion or heel pain like a stone under heel??

Check your calf muscle for any atrophy or muscle mass loss??

• Posted

The POP slab was placed frm ankle to a bit upper area.

I guess there is limited range of motion. Yeah sometimes feels like there is a stone under heel but very rarely.

Yeah my injured left leg appears thinner than my right one. Doc said it was due to atrophy. But he said there's no cure for it. Is it true?

I'm getting annoyed AF due to this sprain. sad

• Posted

Is there anything I can try to reduce the limp?
  • Posted

Hello john,,, i just read your old msg because i didn't see it,, you have symptoms very similar to my case,,, i read alot about foot and ankles because it's poorly understood by doctors,, i want to help you,,

Do you feel poping sounds in your ankle and after that you feel comfortable?? Something like position change of bones??

I want to help you as i can.

• Posted

Take care of it.  I am 10 years out back ankle sprain and had 2 debridments of scar tissue and am still in pain, all goes back to a bad sprain while playing bball.  Make sure it feels good before doing much on it and do lots of PT
    • Posted

Sprains are seriously the worst. I still wish if I could have prevented the misstep and twisting of ankles that day. sad My doc said at least 10-20% of the sprain will stay life long even if it's a grade-2 sprain.

• Posted

No ya john!! You should forget all your doctor bad thoughts ,i assure that he is mistaken as most of doctors!!

Your symptoms are due to your calf muscle atrophy,,,when calf is atrophied,it got smaller and lower hence the Achilles tendon is also shorten and lose its tensile efficiency which lead to heel and all ankle bones malposition and all the feelings and limp you suffer!!!

The calf atrophy is reversible for sure!! But needs time, excersises and good nutrition especially protein intake!! You should focus on calf mass regain, strength ,shape and don't forget to stretch,,,seating calf excersises ,standing,, press leg, reversible calf,,, you may need help from rehabilitation or fitness professional ,,forget orthopedics that's the wrong way... Trust me and try and if you need any inquiry contact me on direct messages.

• Posted

Thanks for replying! Yeah I think ortho doc was being very pessimistic. My physio has only been telling me to do resistance band exercises 2-3 times a day, movie knee in opposite directions and squats for increasing strengths of calf muscles.
    • Posted

John listen to me,, you should do calf stertch daily especially stretch using the seated calf machine in the dorsiflexion direction till you feel good stretch and hold the stertch for 100 seconds,,, when you start feel improvement in dorssiflexion you will be on the right way,

Caution calf raises should be done till stertch and hold the stretch,, if you did calf raise only in upper direction that will be bad for you!!

Tell me do you feel better now?

• Posted

Hey, my physio thinks it's way too early for me to use the calf machine. He just advised me to 10 squats twice daily.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.