This sucks

Posted , 4 users are following.

I spent 8 months and several surgeries in the hospital in 2014. I was on IV Dilauded at 3mg every 4 hours and 2mg Morphine every 2 hours for breakthrough pain and 1800mg of gabapentin daily. I would continue taking 150 pills of Dilauded until March of this year and tapered off with mild withdrawals that went away. A year ago my PD changed me to Gralise, a long acting gabapentin. I decided it wasn't helping and got back on regular gabapentin and started a slow taper.i would go through opiate withdrawals any day of the week compared to gabapentin. I can't take the heat at all, my skin feels like it's on fire every time I step outside and makes me incredibly sick. I'm down to 50mg morning and 50mg at night. Zophran has been my best friend through this. NO ONE should have to go through hell trying to get off a medicine especially when they already are because of an illness. It should be required to explain to a patient the severe withdrawals they will go through. The pharmaceutical companies should be held accountable. Sorry for this being so long but it's just my two cents. My rant is over

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I was on 1600mg gabapentin for 8 months, was supposed to wean by 300 a week per doctor's advice. On the second day I felt extremely itchy and anxious, and by the 4th day I had a mild seizure.

Before starting the medication, doctor made it seem like it was non-dependence forming, non-addictive, etc., which is total bullshit honestly lol. Since, I've been weaning by 100mg every 2 weeks and it's gone fine. 

The side effects pretty much went away at 200, at this point I'm only still weaning to prevent withdrawal symptoms.

I agree that pharmaceutical companies are corrupt about this kind of stuff.

• Posted

The withdrawals? Which one? The gabapentin is the worst withdrawal imaginable!!
  • Posted

Ok I read the rest and I agree!  I wasn't even informed of all the horrible side effects!  I was sick with all but one and couldn't think much less know to look at side effects. I was in excruitiating pain! Nothing would help!  

• Posted

I was told the same thing about non addictive as I had wanted to go without opiates or benzos for chronic pain! The pain got excruitiating and I suffered unimaginable for 5 years. Never putting the two together as being the reason for pain increase plus every type of illness. My mind was such a fog that I couldn't think for myself anymore and finally asked My Daughter to help. I'm only 54 and couldn't control anything. Literally! I couldn't remember if I took my medicines that had gone from 2 to around 22 different ones with Their own side effects!  All saying abdominal pain! I knew I wasn't doing any bad drugs like opiates or benzos and wouldn't listen to anyone who said I was acting like I was.  Slurring My words, passing out erc...  came close as you can to dying 6 times this last year. My Doctor never said well those upper respiratory infections are a side effect and so are the chronic infections plus adrenal gland fatigue plus every side effect common and even rare but 1. I told the Doctor to paste My picture next to the list of side effects and He will then have My medical chart. I believe I suffer from PTSD over this medication!  I'm one comment from My Doctor saying the wrong thing from suing Him. When He upped My dose to 3600 mg per day plus then added oxicarbizapine 1200 mg per day... wow!  I flipped! Last ICU stay was 6 weeks ago and the pain is decreasing with side effects ever so slowly. I want to just stop taking it but when one Doctor cut My dose 1200 mg... I seized! So slow taper is what I recommend. Good luck and take care. I will be on this non addictive withdrawal forever!  That's the worst part for Me. That being the reason plus the off label prescribing. It's not meant for every type of pain. these CNS drugs are absolutely evil to Me but There are People who really do need Them and it's a good drug for Them. Just not Me. Sherri

• Posted

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that. My pain was so bad at one point I was put in a medically-induced coma because none of the pain medications were working the doctors put me on TPN for nutrition, I went from 190 lbs to 129 lbs in 5 weeks but unfortunately the TPN was damaging my liver and kidneys. They brought me out of my nap lol and put me on gabapentin, it wasn't helping but they insisted. I swear on all things holy I'll never take it again. I sincerely wish you best of luck and pray for your recovery

• Posted

Wish They would've put Me into a coma but I was doing that on my own!  Lol. Sherri

• Posted

Oh my god! I am just reading all of the horror stories about this drug. I take 1800mgs a day i was on 2400mg but my body said no no no. I have trigeminal neuralgia and STILL taking these meds hurt chronically 24/7. Besides the TM i suffer from TERRIBLE stomach pains, bloating i am hot all the time... I think it has to be the gab. But nothing else works on this kind of pain (unless you guys know of anything). How will I ever get off of this stuff???
    • Posted

I understand, I was on so much freaking medicine at one point and built up a tolerance to all of it very quickly. I got so dang tired of having to go through withdrawals from medicines that was supposed to help me. You said burning skin, holy crap I can't stand to be touched at rare times, the sun literally kills me, there are times I can't walk up to my second floor of my house because of my feet burning, ( guess where my bathrooms are LOL) my hands and forehead even started peeling layers of skin off. I already said it once and it might just be me but I would go through opiate withdrawal any day of the week compared to this. My advice if and when you are able to get off of it go slow, and I mean very very slow.

• Posted

I'm tapering off because the abdominal, pelvic and hip pain is just that bad! It's absolutely excruitiating. Ran my adrenal glands down to barely functioning and condition called Addison's disease. Auto immune! Great! I couldn't get electrolytes balanced at all. One day low sodium 117 which you can seize to waking up in ICU and potassium is a 7!! 2 days unconscious!  Daughter found Me barely breathing!  First ICU stay was septic pnuemonia!  I was too sick to figure it out!  Please don't let it get that bad!  Will pray for all of You!  Slow taper off though or this stuff will give you the withdrawal you will never forget! Every time I read a symptom and someone is wondering I think gabapentin. Then ask and almost every time they are taking it and saying no... not that! Yep! Very well could be!  I'm not dying for that kind of pain relief!  Take Care! Sherri

• Posted

Oh yea the bloating and going from hot to cold! Wow! They say the bloating never seems to go away! 
    • Posted

Burning skin. Be careful! Read of STeven Johnson Syndrome when I felt like I was burning inside! Yet people who get this end up in ICU burn units. Eyes and body. I'm praying for You! Please be careful and I'm sorry if I scare you but I'm terrified right now! Sherri

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.