THL

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi I had left hip replacement on mon 19 sep I was just wondering when does the appetite come back and also when does the bowel movement return for it has been five days today this website is a god send for sometimes you feel really down but when you read other people's reviews and how well they are doing it really cheers you up and you become more positive

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh try Miralax. It's a godsend. As long as you're taking prescription meds, you will be constipated. But you need to take for pain. I almost cried for happiness when I found my Miralax. You will love it !!

• Posted

Hi Debbie, a natural way to help you move your bowels is by drinking a herbal tea, from Holland and Barrett, it's called Slimmatee, and I found just having one in the evening helped so much.

All the best with your recovery and hope you are feeling better soon. Julie x

• Posted

Hi Julie . I see you like this tea as well. It is very good isn't it? 

• Posted

Yes it is, but I had a friend who over did it, drinking it like normal tea, and was caught short while out shopping, luckily, kind hearted staff in a shop let her use their toilet, oh dear, lesson learnt not to do that again x
  • Posted

For me a normal cup of pure orange juice gets things moving, if one doesn't work, for me within a few hours, I then keep sipping on the orange juice a half cup at a time.

Gentler is pear juice, and yummy as well, I was given it in hospital when I was really not very well at all, No 1 hip THR, didn;t think it would work for me but it did get things moving.

Constipation is caused by the really strong painkillers you have been given firstly as surgery finishes they give you a really strong long acting dose of painkillers, and then they keep topping that up to keep you comfortable, best to get off them as soon as you can, but the idea is not to be in pain either as that will slow your healing.

lack of appitite, normal, all I could tolerate was omelet for a couple of weeks, and some tinned fruit with custard, but remember you do need protein to rebuild muscles, tick eggs, and milk and calcium to rebuild bone, tried to think is there either some calcium and or protein in this food as thats exactly what I need, wasn't too worried as losing weight for me is always a plus.

• Posted

Hi Debbie,  Are you home?  My appetite was nil for several weeks, i lost 18 lbs.  I was the hospital for 10 days, and once i got to come home it improved somewhat.  Have you told your Dr. abouot not having a bm?  I took some bowel softeners when i got home, so things kept pretty much on schedule.  I had my surgery on June 9, and I have experienced some depression, because i thought i would bounce back better than i have, but my Dr. assures me all is well.  I hobble around like the guy on Gunsmoke, I have started attmepting to walk without my cane, but only here at home.  I use my cane when i go out.  I am 74 and im not using my age as a crutch, but i do think it has had a lot to do with the amount of time it has taken me to get this far,,  God bless and just keep on keeping on.

• Posted

Yes I am home went in hospital Monday home by Wednesday I have had bm now feel much better in that department just tired and leg swollen but making good progress
  • Posted

Hi Debbie,

I will be having my L THR in January. I have had major stomachs issues for years and here'so what works for me.

Breakfast of oatmeal with fresh berries and nuts. Warm water with lemon throughout the day, senna sides 2x8.6mg and do curate sodium 100mg with breakfast. Lots of water, and 1 cup of berries at bedtime. If need be I have an rx for Amitiza 24mcg. Keeping the diet steady is a must for me.

Kristen

• Posted

Someone should have told you about stool softener use. Was given one nite after surgery. I ate toast an jelly days after. No appetite. Have to eat, promotes healing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.