Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm

Posted , 6 users are following.

I learned over the weekend that I have an aneurysm.  It was found in a chest x-ray I was having to evaluate a nasty bronchitis.  I'm glad they found it but I'm scared.

It measured 4.3 cm and I don't know what to think right now.  I believe it's the result of rheumatic fever damaging my heart as a child along with 30+ years of intense running for the same time.

What questions should I be asking the cardiologist?  What are your suggestions for managing the condition and living a active life?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Where is it exactly at ? I see a vascular doctor in Dec and still figuring out what I should ask. I would ask what precautions you should be taking. Sorry not much help and wish you the best.
  • Posted

Cardiologists are doctors - they dont deal with this sort of thing. Are you going to see a Vascular Surgeon?

How old are you?

Is the aneurysm saccular or fusiform?

• Posted

Thank you Ben statements you made are helping me. I will ask vascular about whether mine is saccular or fusiform which I understand neither. I was told mine is in the aortic root at 4.4 cm and as well as ascending aorta. Cardiologist could tell me very little about it so after I had a cardiac ablation in Charoltte ,NC they set me up an appointment with a vascular Dr in Dec. I am 49 years old and just want some answers myself. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
  • Posted

I had an ascending aortic aneurysm measuring 6cm and a smaller brachiocephalic aneurysm diagnosed in the Spring of 2015. Surgeon advised me not to drive, refrain from lifting anything heavy I.e avoiding undue strain. I also stopped working until surgery, though this essentially depends on your job. Underwent surgery in late June 2015 and within a month was walking four miles each day. 
  • Posted

Welcome! What other tests have you had? You should get an echo and possibly an MRA. Do you have symptoms? Other health concerns? Share everything with your doctor. And get a good cardiologist, they aren’t all equal.  Get one that specializes in TAA.

Ask about: 

Prognosis 

Yearly testing

Physical limitations and exercises 

Travel restrictions 

Diet

We’re all in this together! 👍🏼

Keep us posted. 

• Posted

All things I need to find out on Wednesday.  Surgery scares me but I have to accept that day will come.  I have no other medical issues.  I had rheumatic fever at age 7 but actually started running the same year.  I ran for 30 years straight but started having performance issues.  I trained 70 miles a week at 6:15 pace.  Racing was faster.  I suspect damage from childhood and intense running caused the issue.  When I saw a cardiologist at 37 said I had cardiovascular disease and advised that I keep running.  That was a failure because I couldn't perform at prior levels and hung it up.  Well last year at 47 I decided to start running again.  After being on the couch 10 years I was back to 7:15 pace over 4 miles in 3 months.  There's the problem as I see it, my stupid runner intensity got me again and I kept pushing.  And here we are, aortic aneurysm and I'm asking if I will be able to train again.  Is that even realistic?  So much for living a healthy lifestyle that eventually kills you.  Very frustrating!

• Posted

I say, run have fun, if your heart rate is lowering and elevating normally, but I would strongly suggest to not strain when getting your workouts in and do not lift weights.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.