Thoracic aortic aneurysm and bicupsid

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I had a 2D echo last week and found 4.6 thoracic aortic aneurysm.

Cardiologist has prescribed blood pressure medicine. Shall I go ahead for surgery or wait till become 5 cm. I am 37 yrs old. I play volley ball every day. Is it ok to continue or stop?

0 likes, 10 replies

Report

10 Replies

  • Posted

    I had surgery at 5.4. My older brother is at 4.6 and they want to monitor him with a CT scan every 6 months. He has an opinion from a different surgeon but mine says that without seeing him he would tend to agree. He said he would probably put him on a beta blocker though.
    Report
  • Posted

    I believe that it is thought preferable not to operate when the anurysm is less than 5cm. as the risks of surgery are higher than the risk of the anurysm bursting. This may also depend on exactly where the anurysm is.

    Good luck.

    Report
  • Posted

    I have 4.2 thoracic aneurysm and my cardiologist put me on a beta blocker he said they wouldn't op until it would get to 5cm or more. I used to run every day day and cycle also and I'm 30 he told me to continue running but nothing to extreme. I went to see a cardiothoracic surgeon for 2nd opinion and he said he's quite sure I have a bicuspid valve I am waiting for another echo to confirm this. This consultant told me that if I have bicuspid then surgery is needed at 4.5 and basically cut out the running and walk instead! 
    Report
    • Posted

      Hi casey78892

      It feels great that i am not alone with my battle against thoracic aortic aneurysm.

      i was diagnosed with thoracic aortic aneurysm 4.8cm and since this is hereditary my doctor advised me to undergo open heart surgery. I used to go to gym also but after I was diagnosed,my doctor advised me to refrain from doing strenous exercise and carrying heavy loads,the only exercise I am doing now is walking.

      Report
  • Posted

    I should probably have said it was my ascending aorta (thoracic). My cardiologist thought I would need valve replacement before it, but my cardio/thoracic surgeon said before the surgery it was very unlikely and he was right. My surgeon is very experienced, Richard Bowman in Plano Texas. If you need surgery, go for the best you can find. Dr. Bowman has done ALOT of these surgeries and has never lost anyone. P.S. my brothers aneurysm is also ascending aorta so I guess the genetic thing is correct.
    Report
    • Posted

      Happy to hear your doing well! My mom was diagnosed with a 4.9cm thoracic aortic aneurysm Tuesday. She's 47, non smoker, non drinker, it's not familial. Her cardiologist wants her to go get genetic testing done in Houston and then evaluate and move forward from there. I'm trying to get her in next week. In the mean time, should we be thinking about getting a second opinion/ already meeting with a surgeon? I live in DFW as well, and heard great things about Dr. Afrin in Dallas. Or should we just wait to get genetic testing done and move forward from there as her cardiologist suggested?

      I'm just trying to be very proactive about this, I don't want to waste any time.

      Also...Thank you for mentioning Dr. Bowman in Plano. He sounds wonderful.

      Report
  • Posted

    Sorry, I meant to say valve replacement also, not first. I was told they make a graft that includes the valve but I didn't need it. My cardiologist and my surgeon have worked together for years and had different opinions before the surgery. My surgeons nurse practitioner told me before the surgery not to worry about it. My surgeon has been inside peoples chests hundreds of times and he knew better. Bottom line: get an opinion from an experienced cardio/thoracic surgeon. Also I was 53 when I had the surgery on September 11th  2014. So far I'm doing good.
    Report
  • Posted

    Thank you all. I am in pennsylvania area.

    What kind of surgery they do for Ascending TA?

     open-chest procedure or Invasive endovascular for 4.6 or above?

    I am worrying about surgeory. Our family has very bad exp with surgeries. 2 years back my father had bypass and failed. He passed away. 

    Report
  • Posted

    I asked the consultant and he said flying. Dos not make. Anerysms grow you are quite safe to fly.
    Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up