Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm surgery coming soon

Posted , 7 users are following.

Approximately 8yrs ago, doctors discovered a 4.6cm aneurysm in my aorta during routine testing in preparation for an upcoming surgery. Fast forward 8yrs later my aneurysm has increased in size to 5.8cm so everyone in theseforums know what that means...its surgery time! I've had echoes and CT Scans every 6 months as this appears to be the wait and watch approach when aneurysms are under 5cm.. My aneurysm was slow growing until the last 18 months. At least 3 CT scans were missed and the echoes didn't clearly show growth. Now, I am terrified out of my mind about having an "open repair". It has been brought to my attention that because of the location of my aneurysm, I am not a candidate for an "endovascular repair". Imagine my disappointment. My anxiety level is at an all time high and I am symptomatic. Chest heaviness and back pain coupled with migraine headaches. Apart of me realizes that these surgeries are done rather routinely now but that still doesn't stop the horrendous fear I have. I have had severe allergic reactions to meds in the past. I'm not a good sleeper generally and now its worst. I have to schedule my surgery by June, to have at least 6 months of recovery time before my family cruise in Dec.. I am a 56yr old female veteran. I used to run least east 3 miles a day and Jazzercise at least 5 days a week until I was told to stop by my cardiologist. I have since gained about 15 lbs in these last 8yrs but other than that, no high cholesterol, high blood pressure or diabetes. My doctors assure me that I am a perfect candidate and shouldn't experience any complications but the idea of my sternum being cut open and just the entire procedure is frightening. What's more concerning is once you have aneurysm in one place, another could eventually show up somewhere else in the future. I've also been told that these repairs can require maintenance in the future! Its all just a little too much but knowing the alternative..carrying around a ticking time bomb, I have to have the surgery. I know people that survived a couple yrs after the surgery, had to have some type of maintenance and never truly recovered and died. My neice fiancé was life alighted to the hospital in mid March with a dissection, he is currently and the road to recovery. I have a lot of family support but of course they are all concerned as well. The saga continues..

4 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Gigi2007,

March 2015 I was diagnosed with thoracic aortic aneurysm, 4.8cm ascending aorta and 4.6cm descending aorta.I'm 38 years old. I used to go to gym ang workout for and hour. My cardiologist advised me to undergo an open heart surgery, though my aneurysm size is still 4.8cm, but based on my height and age, this size of aorta is already life threatening. I went back to my work as I need to save money for my open heart surgery. My world turned upside down when I was terminated from my job because of my illness. Now I'm left jobless, with a bank loan that is whooping $19 000.00

I felt like I'm living in a dark tunnel..and can't even see a flickering light of hope to help ke get out of this situation.

(Just sharing my story, of how aneurysm devastates me)

• Posted

Wow...

I am VERY sadden to hear of your current situation. First being

that you have an aneurysm and being told that surgery is nece-

scary is a devastating blow all by itself!! There is probably some type

of action that can be taken against the company you worked for

but that will take time.. Your first order of business is YOU! Find

medical financial assistance that will cover your surgery. Its out

there, start at your doctor's office. The process is never a cake

walk so expect conflict, if conflict doesn't show up...fantastic!!

I am at home recovering from my Friday May 20, 2016 surgery. I am

finally coherent, capable of doing some things SLOWLY for myself

but PAINFULLY recovering.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.