Thoracic back pain and health anxiety

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

Looking for some solace here. I've had thoracic back pain/ache for 10 weeks now with no original cause. Doctor keeps telling me it is musculoskeletal but there's no real let up from it apart from after a sleep or a hot bath. For some reason, I absolutely convinced myself it must be cancer of some sort.

Bloods have came back okay and doctor said it's health anxiety. Why is the back pain still there and so constant? Said there's no need to assess the back as it's down to the anxiety. Surely there's something wrong with it (now convinced its lung cancer after ruling out others).

Any replies would be appreciated I'm going crazy with it.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Stephen,

Your doctor is satisfied and your bloods are fine so stop worrying. If there was anything wrong the bloods would indicate reasons for further tests to be carried out.

Remember, anxiety intensifies pain and vice versa so try to chill out.

Some tips for you that I have taken from the net which helps me:

.....Try to get a good night's sleep, if you have trouble sleeping try deep breathing exercises when you go to bed. Try listening to delta wave music on the internet (works for me)

.....avoid inflammatory foods, sugars, fried foods, take aways

.....accept anxiety, you know you are healthy, your brain will play tricks on you

.....Don't Google your symptoms

.....Avoid caffeine, stimulants

.....Focus on now, not yesterday or tomorrow

Another thing I would be aware of is your posture. When texting hold your phone up rather than looking down.

If you have to look down tuck your chin in.

???

• Posted

Thank you. I know I need to get on with living but the worries with my health keep getting in the way!

Thanks again

• Posted

I know it's not easy but it sound as though you have a good doctor wanting you to make fortnightly appointments for reassurance. I wish they were all like that.

Best wishes ?

• Edited

god i have the same exact thing its the lower part of my mid back but not quite lumbar . came on out of the ordinary, i move around fine but its a deep ache and its episodic and sometimes it goes away for a day or two. When i lay down it usually goes away within a half hour and i sleep fine . Doc says its a muscle spasm but i dont believe it lol , But has anyone else had this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.