Thoracic Disk problem

Posted , 3 users are following.

18 years ago I herniated a thoracic disk in my back. The injury occurred from weightlifting.  I experienced breathing problems, pain in my abdomen and under my armpit.I also felt inflammation on the outside of my mid-back.  The doctors were not able to give me a diagnosis. I didn't know what the problem was so I kept on lifting weights and the symptoms worsened. One weird symptom I had was that my voice would change and become deeper after lifting weights.   I did a lot of research and found that the Merck Manual indicated that pain in the armpit was a symptom of a compromised Thoracic disk. The  Doctor agreed to an MRI and the result was 3 compromised Thoracic disks. One was herniated and the other 2 were bulging. I forget exactly which ones they were.

I stopped weight lifting for 2 years. I started up after these 2 years and gradually was able to lift pain free.

Last week I was doing low rows in the gym with a heavy weight. When I got home my upper back muscles were in spasm. I also felt the inflammation in the same place to the very left of my mid back. Now,even if I lift a bagful of groceries my upper back muscles spasm and pain radiates to my chest.

I went to the doctor and he gave me Prednisone and muscle relaxers.

I've been doing some research on the internet. There is much more information about Thoracic Disk problems now than when I looked in 1998. Should I wait this out and see how things go? Should I make and appointment with an Orthopedic or Neurologist. Should I go to a Chiropractor? Any input about this problem will be much appreciated. Thanks.

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I would see a good physio for an assessment and possible referral to a neurologist and/or orthopaedic surgeon
    • Posted

jj341

?Just sent u a msg but being moderated don't know why!  I just stated that I went to physio under the NHS for one ear. I got relief by exercises laid down by the physio, plus tens machine and did not need any painkillers. The exercises were designed to strengthen my muscles thus providing support to the neck and spine. A natural splintage mechanism. You may like to read up about the mechanism of pain I found it very interesting.

• Posted

typos year not ear!!!!! lol!!
  • Posted

I think a physical therapist is a great idea and you need to understand that those disks did not heal all by themselves just because the pain went away. You may have just done some permanent pain to yourself. But let's hope not. This time assuming the therapist can get you back in shape don't go back to the heavy lifting. Stick to the little weights.

• Posted

I think the idea of exrcises is to strengthen the muscles and provide natural splintage for the spine inc the cervical vertebrae.

Take care xx

• Posted

A good physical therapist is a great suggestion Amkoffee. I will take that advice. What are you referring to that the disks did not heal all by themselves? You are correct. No heavy weights.

I was just maintaining with a regular amount of weight and all was fine. The injury incurred when I used a different low row machine with a poundage higher than my normal load.n

• Posted

Many people live with bulging disks and don't even know it until the disk impinges on the nerve. So your disk apparently swelled and during your break reduced and got better and when you pushed it too far it swelled again and is pushing on that nerve again. If you do it too much it could be a permanent problem. And that's where the physical therapist can really help you. Assuming he/she is good (and unfortunately I had a really bad one once that really hurt me badly) they will work you up to where you can get to.

This is not nearly to your level, but this is an exmple of what I'm referring to. I was totally unable to walk more than 2-3 minutes at a time when I started with my PT. I committed to work with him for 1 year. And he started me at just walking around the house 2-3 minutes several time a day, Of course i did other exercise too. But anyway I walked a 5K at the end of that year. So PT can really work wonders if you stay committed.

• Posted

This is treatable please do not give up. Much can be done by exercising but under the guidance of a reputable physiotherapist.
    • Posted

See Jane I can agree with you. I can even show that I did it successfully.
    • Posted

Well read above to my comment to JJ341. Other then what I said there they were all core strengthing or walkiing. But I had to do them while I was on opiates. Because I was in so much pain I could not have done them any other way.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I was asking about the other exercises that you did on top of walking around the house. Thanks
    • Posted

Jane I just don't know what your asking. All I did was core training and walking. I can't give you specific exercises on here. That would be difficult to say the least. I would assume that saying core exercises would explain it enough.

• Posted

So I made an appointment with a physio and Ive gone there 4 times. He is hoping it may be a pulled or torn muscle because of the pain in the upper right back. The exercises I do there for the thoracic spine seem simple but a few hours afterward I feel like I've been in a football game. The upper back muscles feel to be a little stronger. Going there there was the right thing to do.

He will decide within a week or so if I should get an MRI on my spine. A torn muscle would be preferrable to a disk problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.