Thoracic outlet syndrome surgery post op resultd

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I had my first rib removed because I was diagnosed with,"Thoracic Outlet Syndrome". I had some problems with my right side. My right peck chest muscle, and weakness in my right muscles were going down really bad. Long story short after I had the procedure done. My upper areas recovered well after 6 weeks. Problem now, I have lost 40% atleast use of my right hand. I can make a fist, but I can't extend and erect my fingers to full length. I was supposed to only have PT. for my, upper area i.e. shoulder and neck, some arm. Now I have been referred too, Outpatient Hand Physical Therapy. I had no problems with my hand before surgery so now i'm confused, a little depressed because I have went on you tube, checked other patients forums and none seem to have matched my post op condition. So i'm trying to see if anyone can identify with my problem, with my hand after having this procedure performed. I'm typing mainly with my left hand. My right pinky is still numb, as well as my right elbow and forearm area. After 6 weeks my tricep is finally loosening up and the swelling to my upper shoulder and neck is making progress of the swelling going down.

CURIOUS        

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Also before surgery I had full use of my right hand.I Iost 85% after the surgery. Now I have ragained some use but i'm nervous about not being able to extend the fingers.     

• Posted

Hi Leroy, I am 12 weeks post-op, first rib removal via armpit on the left side. Recovery is very, very slow. I still have hand issues, numbness, weakness and can't extend my little finger fully yet. There is also still a lot of pain in my arm and hand. According to the surgeon these problems are all normal as nerves regenerating can present in strange ways. Only now am I seeing an improvement in strength and motor skills so unfortunately patience is definitely the key. It's very frustrating but I have had the same problems and only now feeling more positive about the outcome. Hang in there.

• Posted

Hi Lesley, thank you for sharing your situaion. I feel better now, knowing that others such as yourself are witnessing the same problem i'm dealing with. I was so confused about the outcome. I seen my regular doctor and he wasn't sure that my hand should be in the condition he witnessed. He sent me back to my surgeon and he had a look of confusion as well, lol.  I hope that you recover fully, and that you never have to face this surgery again.  

• Posted

You're welcome Leroy, unfortunately I have to have the right side done as well next year but this time I will have a better idea of what to expect. It would help if some info regarding post-op recovery was given prior to surgery so that this experience becomes less stressful for people. Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hello....actually same thing happen me also..I faced the surgery last February...now it's ok.but the problsm is there's a area in my hand which I feel nothin.but now I have the same pain in my left side like before my surgery in right side...I want to know if there's any diseases that happen after the surgery...

• Posted

Hi Dinesha, I'm not a doctor to answer this matter. Ive read other forums where people said they had to get the left and right done. Some a year apart. About your hand though, are you able to fully extend your fingers, touch them with your thumb yo tip? I hope that all goes well.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.