Those darn thigh high stockings

Posted , 10 users are following.

i had TKR a week ago and overall doing fairly well. I can bend at 92 and flat at 0. I am to wear those impossible thigh high stockings 24/7 for six weeks. They just want to roll down. Grrrr! Any suggestions? Thanks to all you wonderful ppl out there!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi gynna - when I had my TKR 8 months ago, I wore the thigh high stockings to 6 weeks day and night. The surgeon told me that by wearing them cuts back on the swelling and blood clots. I know that they are bothersome, but I am glad that I stuck to the 6 weeks. I can say that my knee was not too swollen. And thank God I did not get any blood clots. However, I did take Ecotrin everyday. For me the stockings was a good thing. They are also good for blood circulation. You should at least try them during the day. Good luck. J-21370
  • Posted

Sorry this isn't going to help but I could never wear the thigh high stockings because they kept rolling. Only wore the knee highs. Sounds like you are making great progress. I'm still trying to get flat at

-6..... What a journey this has been.

• Posted

Just remember why they are prescribed...to prevent blood clots and possibly save your life. How are you wearing them. Some Drs say you can take them off at night and others 23 on and one off. My surgeon has always said I could have then off at night. Make sure they are the proper size. You may need them one size e larger. They aren't comfortable but will keep you safe and you may have to live with that. Better safe than sorry. Only 5 not e weeks

• Posted

I just had knee high ones, ...even they rolled a bit withhh c

• Posted

They may feel irritating but make sure you wear them for the 6 weeks. They are prescribed for a reason and believe you me, it's a very good reason.

The feeling when you finally take them off will be amazing but don't be tempted to take them off before you've been told to!

• Posted

Hi I can only tell you I stopped wearing the stockings after the first week at night too much pain. By the third week I did not wear them at all

Good healing

• Posted

I was not given them for TKR as i had swollen ankles already on the day of surgery and it was felt they would cut in and cause more harm than good as so tight. Those who were given the stockings only had knee highs and were given only for the non op leg.

​I have my own made to measure compression stockings for my swelling problem but could not get them on either due to leg being extra swollen from op. I have had to be remeasured by the lymphatic clinic. Nurse said the hospital issue stockings can be a poor fit for some people.

They are principally for use when someone is at high risk of blood clots - post surgery of course we are esp with knee ops and those who are not mobile. Some surgeons do not use them though many do.

​If you are having problems with discomfort, then have a word with your surgery nurse, maybe a different size or style coud be provided to suit you better. In the meantime, taking your anti coagulants and being as mobile as possible helps against blood clots and wear the stockings as much as you can. If they cause any red marks where they roll up, then I would show the nurse as any pressure like that can actually be worse for cutting the circulation. But take advice as each case unique.

• Posted

I was only given 1 knee high which I wore in hospital.

After that I wore my compression hosiery (for PTM & healed leg ulcer) once I could get them on, at about 3 weeks.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thanks you to everyone!!
  • Posted

Never had socks. My doc never prescribed them. I took two aspirin a day for a month. If my doc had advised me to do it, I would have used them. Do what your doc says. Sounds like you are moving right along!
  • Posted

Hi

I know wearing the stockings is a pain and 3 times l have had to wear them after surgery of 2 hip.replacements and 1 knee. I soon have my other knee to get done and beleive me l will be wearing them as l just nearly lost my mum to DVT after they found a blood clot in her main artery in her neck that could have killled her if it moved to the brain or the heart. You always think it will never happen to you and moan about wearing these stockings ......l did myself so much but now that l seen it can actually happen l will wear them and not moan as my mum was in hispital for a short time and was getting the blood thinning injections while in but never had major surgery yet got DVT and it travelled up to her neck and got stuck at the arterty by luck. Now she has to take the injections for the rest of her life. Try and just think its for your own saftey even though they are such an annoyance. I moaned none stop about them. Lol

I just had ankle surgery and have had to wear a moonboot for over 2 months 24/7 and beleive me it is hell. You think the socks are bad jeeze this is torture.

Lors

X

• Posted

Thank you lors. I am getting used to them I think. They just keep rolling down.  Thanks for your kind words

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.