THOSE WITH HYDROCELES PLEASE READ!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I struggled with a hydrocele for years. Terrified of surgery due to the entries (mostly) on this thread, I resorted to becoming an expert at self aspiration (even using an electric medical pump and intravenous giving set to speed things up!). I finally had enough of my balls going up and down like a yoyo and found a good surgeon, paid the fee and scheduled the operation.

He told me it was a minor procedure and was amused by my fears. The surgeon (Mr Gordon Muir at HCA and NHS Kings Hospital in the UK) has done "thousands" of them and he laughed when I told him about what I'd read on this thread.

I was dreading it, of course, but I opted for general anaesthetic and was surprised that I felt as good AFTER the surgery as when I went in. After organising a friend to pick me up in his car, I walked home and felt nothing.

Before leaving, Mr Muir came to speak to me after the operation to explain that I might feel some discomfort in the coming days but that I'd be able to return to work after that. He was right: I changed nothing and just went about my normal day, from the day of the operation and every day after that.

I was waiting and waiting for the pain to kick in, but it never did. Nothing. Nada. The discomfort was so minor that it's not worth mentioning. I changed the dressing (pretty simple after wiring myself to the mains to do aspirations). There was bruising but that faded as each day passed.

That was a couple of months ago and I was back to normal so quickly that it was ridiculous. The scar is tiny and can't now be found.

I'm writing here because I realised something: ONLY THE SMALL PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE WITH NEGATIVE EXPERIENCES WILL BE MOTIVATED TO POST ON THIS SITE. I'd been STUPID enough to read them and take them as reality when they are anything but. When I think of the prolonged suffering and embarrassment I suffered across years through the fear generated (largely) by this thread, it makes me angry (with myself)!

PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR: SHUT THIS PAGE DOWN, STOP SEARCHING FOR NEGATIVE EXPERIENCES AND WAKE UP TO THE FACT THAT PEOPLE WITH POSITIVE EXPERIENCES DON'T POST!!!!

Just book yourself into this simple and common procedure and stop worrying about ANYTHING!

I know what you're going through and I send you my love and best wishes,

Marc

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

that's great to hear! could you share how long ago you got the surgery and what type (ex. some involve stitching to the side, a penrose drain, or other treatments). I'm at the point where I would like to try self-aspirating. I've had it drained 2x at a doctor's office but as expected it keeps coming back. I'm just concerned that if I self-aspirate that I might miss the hydrocele and potentially cause more problems. (open to any advice you have on self-aspiration and also on how to make sure I hit the hydrocele.) thanks and good luck with your recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.