thought it was from alcohol, but happened after exercise...dehydration???

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all,

I had posted before about getting a rapid heart rate after having as few as 1 drink(wine).  Sometimes that happens, sometimes I'm fine...no rhyme or reason to it and its happened about 10 times over the past 1.5 years.  Last week  I was at the gym,had eaten before, forgot my water and pushed myself harder than normal.  I have not been working out much after developing reflux and having to rule out cardiac stuff before i got that diagnisis.  I felt pretty good when i stopped and then 5 minutes later my heart started racing aroun 140bpm.  My normal pulse  runs about 65-75 so i notice when it gets fast.  It also seemed a bit irregular, but not out of the ordinary for me.. i felt off, but not short of breath and i think getting nervous made it worse....after about 25 minutes all was back to normal with a hr of 71 and bp 95/63.  Felt a whole lot better.  Could dehydration be the link to all of this??  Ive never had a problem with exrcise before.....i would love to hear your experiences with this and what/if anything works for you..thanks!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Both alcohol and dehydration will start tachycardia and nothing too can trigger it. I had an episode yesterday BPM was 164 for about 45 minutes. Blood pressure went crazy high for that time. I was doing absolutely nothing. My daughter also has SVT too but if she drinks, that dehydrates her and that sets her off.
  • Posted

Alcohol can trigger it big time. I stop drinking altogether after my Ablation.
  • Posted

I would take earlier replies into account as they could be right in your case.

But I had SVT for many years (before I had an ablation) and am as certain as one could be that it was not triggered by alcohol (which I have always enjoyed almost every day).

Most times it happened when I was relaxed and for no reason I could identify, or as a reaction to caffeine (even the tiniest amounts in decaff), or as a delayed reaction to mental or emotional stress. 

SVT triggers, symptoms and treatments do vary a bit so you should try to identify the ones that best match your own experience and then try cope as best you can withe the advice and meds best suited to you.

I wouldn't rush to go on the wagon unless I was pretty certain I'd no chouce.

Good luck

• Posted

After my 50 years of SVT, I think that many of us will eventually and accurately put ourselves into the "no rhyme nor reason" category.  Your continued reading will confirm alcohol and dehydration as possible triggers, along with much more.  My SVT seems to mostly be random.  

If your physician(s) say(s) exercise is OK, I'd continue doing what you're doing.  I think staying in good physical shape has helped me deal  

emotionally with my SVT.

I also encourage you to read about breathing techniques to help you stop your SVT.  I used one a few minutes ago to stop my latest.

Take good care of yourself.  We wish you well. 

• Posted

Had an ablation 2 yrs ago, Lola.  Unsuccessful.  I actually have SVT more frequently now.  I may try ablation again, but with the breathing stuff I keep writing about, I've been able to stop my SVT quickly.  I don't at all miss my trips to emergency rooms.

I have a better sense of control, now, and thus better manage my SVT-related anxiety. I'm hoping that you'ss soon do better with your challenge.  Take care.  

• Posted

Gene,

can you explain the breathing you do, so sugguest where I could look it up please. My session on Sunday was for about 45 minutes. I laid down on my right side and kind curled up in a fetus position for awhile, Them I threw cold water on my face. You really never know if these things help or did it just stop on its own. 

• Posted

I learned of the breathing possibilities on this forum, Lola, under "Useful technique for SVT attacks" (from Simon).  I'm fairly confident that I've stopped attacks with a variety of breathing and/or positional approaches.  The best for me seems to be sitting  erect, very deep inhalation, hold that for a few seconds, and then slowly exhaling until I can't exhale any more.  Fetal position, either side, with slow and deep breathing has worked, too.  Flat on

my back on a floor with legs up on an ottoman, low table or bed, along with

slow deep breating has stopped two attacks that I remember. As a 69-year-old, that last one seems pretty awkward for me, but whatever works I'll do.

Prior to my ablation, Val Salva could be effective, but now much less so.  I've never had success with ice cubes on eyes, cold water on face, and such.

A skeptical reader might think, "Come on, man, isn't this just random stopping?"  Could be, but if I don't do any of the above, my SVT will typically last for an hour or more and lead to an emergency room visit and adenosine.      

Hope this helps.  Take care.

• Posted

Hi Gene,

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate you taking the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.