Thoughts of when I'll get relief after stopping ct and starting citalopran back up

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I can't figure out how to start a new discussion. I did contact admin but haven't heard back. Anyway, I could use some advice. 7 weeks ago stopped 10 mg celexa cold turkey. 2 1/2 weeks in I started having anxiety but figured I could deal with it. My anxiety kept escalating and by 5 1/2 weeks it was intolerable. Weird thoughts, panic attacks. Horrible. It has been 8 days back on the 10 mg. I'm still feeling terrible, not quite as bad. Can't figure out if it's the withdrawal doing it or starting back. I guess both??

i was feeling great. That's why I stopped. Now I feel worse than I ever did years before.

I just want to feel better. Ugh!!

Hopefully someone has some good thoughts!!

thanks!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

As you can see I figured it out!! I copied this from a reply a made.

Sorry for the confusion.

• Posted

Hi Melissa, I too stopped aqfter a year of feeling normal again and that proved to be a bad idea after a few months it came back panic attacks and low mood Fatique !!! So started back up on 10mg experiencing minor side effects which I expected. Regarding starting a new discussion you should be able to click on box on right hand side or maybe go into your profile to find start a discussion. Good luck I suggest you stay on meds for as long as you want for me I may not stop taking?
    • Posted

Thank you so much (-:  I did finally see the tab and started the discussion. No, I will never try to get off it again. I've been back on for 8 days and thought I'd feel relief by now. I'm mad at myself for doing it. Never thought I'd feel this bad. 

• Posted

Hi Melissa

You are just beginning these meds so there are rough patches ahead for you. Buy stick with them and you will feel better in time. read the many posts in here and try and get a little exercise also. Stay positive and it will all be worth it in the long run!!!!

• Posted

Hi Melissa

You are just beginning these meds so there are rough patches ahead for you. Buy stick with them and you will feel better in time. read the many posts in here and try and get a little exercise also. Stay positive and it will all be worth it in the long run!!!!

• Posted

Hi John. Thank you for the advice. I'm going to stay with it. I actually have been on 10 mg for 4 years and decided to quit cold turkey 7 weeks ago. Terrible idea. I had such bad withdrawal symptoms. I'm now back on for 1 week waiting for it to kick back in.

I'm definitely going to get back into walking for exercise once I'm feeling a little better.

Thanks again!!

• Posted

Hi Melissa. I think there's a start a new d button somewhere but often everyone muddles on the same one! If u look back at my posts and others cold turkey is never the way to go. It makes u suffer with all sorts problems and makes u Worse than wen u started. I took it fir 6 months. It was never intended to be long term thing. I was on 20 mg. this is the therapeutic starting dose for most people   Over 65 it's often 10 mg. I took a year reducing slowly by 2.5 mugs at a time then even 1.25 mg..true! Until I was safely off it  True...  I felt great once 20 mg was established ...after about 2 weeks. Could have happily stayed on them. ?? But dealing with issues and myself was really the solution. The drug was great whilst it lasted but it has some nasty side effects and should be treated with great respect.  Go back and see yr GP. You may need to establish the 20 mg dose. I am safely off it and will never go back. I used to say that I was naturally low  in serotonin and that cit bridged that gap. But on a relapse my GP sent me on an Nhs minds matters course . I knew all they told me really but it helped me put things into perspective   I am more mindful meditate and take better care and awareness of myself.  Hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you, Gillian! I'm glad you're doing so well.

I did fine on the 10 mg for 4 years and I'm hoping I won't have to increase once this dose starts working. I'm 64 and I'm sensitive to medication anyway. This was a tough lesson to learn, for sure. Not sure what caused the problem.....stopping the med abruptly or starting back up. Ugh!!

Thank you!! Keep up the good work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.