Thoughts on cartilage graft or stem cell injections for ankle with osteochondral lesions

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all,

i have had an ankle arthroscopy with microfracture for osteochondral defect of the talus in 2005 ( i was 17 years old at the time)

I’m now 32 and even though I managed my ankle for all that times , things are deteriorating very rapidly. Let’s be clear that after surgery things were never perfect. Running or impact sports have always been out of my regimen after the surgery . But now even walking can be painful, and the only footwear i can tolerate is flip flops. I have had an MRI done and the surgeon suggested stem cells injection, noting that my ankle joint looked good and there was no signs of arthritis. He could see the presence of fibrous cartilage at the site of surgery

My question is if anyone had to deal with the same issue and if you have any experience/ opinion on cartilage graft

I’m also curious to hear what people have to say about the use stem cells to treat damaged cartilage

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.