Thoughts on Humira and Xeljanz

Posted , 5 users are following.

As some of you might know, I was scheduled for a clinical trial with Enbrel last month and unfortunately the trial ended before I could get in. Well as the saying goes, when one door closes another one opens up....I am now in line for another clinical trial, this one is for 5-6 years instead of just one, which is great. I have to wait one more month as I have to be on MTX for 4 months for this trial instead of 3 like the other one.

This new trial will have me on either Humira or Xeljanz (they don't tell you up front or give you an option) and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with either one of these drugs and how they are helping or not helping you.

So far my liver and kidneys have tolertaed the MTX fine (but my hair falls out in clumps and I swear I have more pain with it) and I'll remain on it while taking the other drug that they choose for me.

Do any of these drugs take care of the fatigue? I have to say that the fatigue is probably the worst symptom for me. The pain is obviously awful too, but the malaise and tiredness is so depressing. I'm hoping the new biologics will help with that. 

Any discussion on these drugs would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Suel

i have ankylosing spondylitis and will start humira from next week. I found this discussion via search n read all thru this discussion. I feel bad for all of us. We take risks in the hope we will find success me relief with something . It feels scary to start something that will weaken ur immune system but we try and we hope. I hope everyone here finds something that works.

it feels wrong that there re mess that cuse flares me pain...

out ur of interest what is RA...does it affect all joints?

in AS the spine starts fusing so my sacroiliac joints r fused with my hips..every morning I wake up feeling like I've been run over by a car in my sleep.sad I'm so hoping Humira will be the 'mediation' for me.....

best set wishes to everyone

jubs UK 

• Posted

Hi Jubs,

Thanks so much for the response. RA affects the joints and tissue all over the body. Pretty much it acts like a war hero declaring war on what it wrongly sees an immune system in trouble when really, it's healthy tissue. Because of that, I'm generally in pain in most of my joints in my body and the fatigue is awful. My body is always fighting itself, even the healthy tissue. 

Ankylosing Spondylitis sounds awful, too. I have Spondylolestheis in my lower back which means I have fractured vertabrea and virtually little to know cushing between joints. And that's a separate issue from the RA. Oh what fun! wink

I know the feeling of waking up and feeling run over. I do hope the Humira helps you. My Rheumy now wants to get me on a biologic called Cimzia. or something like that. I need to send a note out to everyone here to see what they think, or if they've tried it.

Thanks again for your response and all the best to you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.