Thoughts on Proton Radiation? I'm 56. Gleason of 3+3

Posted , 7 users are following.

Diagnosed in April. MRI done, consult with three doctors. One recommended RP. Two recommended Proton Therapy.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Your best option is probably Active surveillance. I say probably because I don't know your specific circumstances (and I'm not a doctor). If you are not experiencing any urinary problems, and your cancer is located in an area not likely to spread, then you might be better off with active surveillance. Eventually, because of your age, you will probably have to take some other action in the future. But by that time, perhaps they will have new and better options or have perfected the options they have now so the side effects will be even less.

From what I have read, RP would probably be over treating your situation. From what I understand, regardless of the radiation treatment available, they will all cause some amount of impotence five years after the surgery. (In most cases, Impotence does not show up right away with radiation treatment).

If I were you, I would check into focal laser ablation (FLA) or high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU).

Just my thoughts. I'm not a doctor and I don't know your specific situation. I've just done a lot of research because I'm in the same situation as you.

• Posted

You are yojung, and your numbers are low. You should slow down and catch your breath. Your situation certainly gives you many options. Active Surveillance is an option too. But at your age a treatment might be good because you can expect to live many more years. I was diagnosed last October with the 3+3 gleason score. PSA was at 5.2. A biopsy indicated adenocarcinoma which is a slow growing cancer. I am 65 and in good health other than the prostate cancer. I had no symptoms at all. The PSA was discovered in my regular annual physical. My primary care doctor sent me to the urologist. So I researched options, and with the low risk numbers there are many. And many are good ones. You just have to weigh the pros and cons of each option. I decided on Brachytherapy - low dose seed implants because it is a one time treatment. Once and you're done. I decided to get treatment even though my urologist said I was a candidate for the active survaillance. I felt that if I waited a year or two or more, I would be older and may have other health issues to deal with. I figured it would be better to treat it now and be done with it. There are many good websites with lots of information. Here is one that I ran across recently. It shows many treament options and their side effects. It is worth a look for you.

http://www.prostate-cancer.com/index.cfm

Good luck to you... and take some time to do some research.

Charles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.