Thoughts please???

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, i really hope you dont mind me posting here but i would love to hear your opinions. Im 31 years old, female. Ex smoker of 15 years quit 18 months ago. Over the last 5 years or so i developed shortness of breath, wheezing, loud stridor and started coughing up phlegm every morning. I quit smoking 18 months ago but if anything the shortness of breath has gotton worse. I tire very easily. I have what i would describe as daily shortness of breath but every so often i get acute episodes of being so short breath its frightening. My respiriotry dr is so dismissive because of my age i could scream. The last 3 tests have shown up a few things which he has told me to ignore and i wondered if it rings any bells with any of you. My most recent spirometry done last week was great but the nurse did say my lungs are not blowing all of the air out i blew just over 4 and should be blowing 6. I did a full set of breathing tests last year which showed a reduced inspiratory capacity and on a cpet i did beginning of last year it says there was an insufficent increase in petco2. I know none of you are doctors or can give me a diagnosis but as you all go through so much i think sometimes we know more than the doctors these days? Any ideas what could be going on here causing this shortness of breath? Any tips on any questions i should be asking? 

I feel im being totally dismissed because of my age but i truly am left suffering and am completely unable to keep up with my husband, i get too short of breath and tire so easily. Asthma has been ruled out and heart tests have come back normal. Thanks xx

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi what was the results of your spirometry test?  You should have been given your lung function (FEV1).  If this is below 90% then you might well have copd.  If not then you probably haven't.  Your diagnosis would be based on these results.  

31 would be young to be diagnosed with copd but not unheard of.  Also if you have/had several close relatives with copd then you could be carrying the Alpha1 Deficiency gene.  Fotunately this is rare but it should be ruled out if you have a copd diagnosis.  x

• Posted

As suggested get a hard copy of your spirometry results and any other test results you have had done then you can check against the spirometry calculator here on patient UK.

Also ask for the Alpha 1 antitrypsin tes (its a simple blood test, refer to Alpha1 dedication websites, UK or the country you reside to find out more also check pages here on patient UK.

Allergy awareness - if you have had symptoms since getting a new pet, new washing powder, new furniture, check out gov pages search "Impact of building and finishing materials and new furniture on the occurrence of respiratory diseases"  Also if you have moved to a new home since this first started happening, you may be allergic to something in the area, certain tree, vegetation, pollutions etc. etc.

Other than that generally patients and doctors go by what test results reveal, if the results show normal that is likely to be the case.  If you are not satisfied with your doctors verdict there is always the option for a 2nd opinion.

Good luck, just treating the symptoms without a proper diagnosis may not be to your best advantage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.