THR and bone loss

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, has anyone experienced bone loss years after having a Total Hip Replacement? I am going thru that issue currently and my surgeon seems to be at a loss as to what's causing it. I've had bone graph done and there isn't any metal leakage showing in my blood work. At this point the prosthetic hip is in danger of loosening. I'm praying for any feed back or studies anyone is aware of in the U.S. for this issue. thank you and God Bless!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Follow up... CT scan showed what was suspected, the cup has signs of loosing because of the bone loss around the cup area. Bone very weak and "translucent". My surgeon has suggested moving the cup to a more stable area of bone, somewhere on my pelvic bone using a method called caging. Has anyone had that done? If not, I'm sharing my journey just incase it helps someone else. I haven't set a surgery date, I will if my pain becomes unbearable preventing me from walking. Right now, I have good and bad days but my faith keeps me hopeful that God will take care of me not matter what. Hope this Helps

• Edited

Surgery done, cage installed,. Pretty sore but no more popping and pain and swelling from loosening. 4 weeks post op so still taking it easy, recovery taking a little longer with the additional hardware installed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.