THR and post op anterior knee pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

So 8 weeks post op. My anterior knee pain is still there. MRI results now show moderate arthritis even though I had NO pain in my knee prior to surgery. Saw my surgeon yesterday. I let him shoot me up with cortisone in my knee, hurt like hell with multiple sticks. Today my pain is still there.

Anyone else have this happen to them. My patella feels like it is not attached? Does arthritis in the knee feel like arthritis in the hips? I am starting to feel very hopeless now.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

During hip replacement surgery considerable force is used to dislocate the hip so it is little wonder that you are experiencing pain. I'm rather surprised that your surgeon did not explain this to you at your last consultation. Hope it soon reduces. Richard

• Posted

hello, i agree with Richard, i had awful pain in my knee for about 10 weeks after surgery, i had my hip done 4 months ago and even though i have no pain my knee it is still slightly swollen. i sure in time the pain will go, hang in there . sue

• Posted

Me too... zero pain in knee prior to hip replacement but very sore for some time after (and, knee pain didn't begin until some weeks post op). I began to wonder if knee needing replacing! Fortunately knee pain resolved itself after some weeks.

I'm inclined to think that the knee pain was attributable to a combination of hip replacement surgery impact and a change in gait as I recovered.

At just 8 weeks post op, while you should be noticing positive impact, it's still very early days. Best of luck as you continue to recover.

• Posted

HI. Arthritis in the knee is like a binding door hinge. On dry days there is no tightness. On humid days they are tight. After THR on left side my left knee was tighter than a rusty barn hinge. It took several weeks of exercise to relieve it so make sure you do your knee bends several times a day. They say there is a lot of pressure on the leg side knee that gets the hip replacement from the way they put everything back in there. That's why your side of the surgery is tender for a long time because of stress on those stretched out muscles. KEEP MOVING is the ticket to success! I'm 66 and that works for this beat up frame(body).

• Posted

PS, after 2.5 to 3 months I felt a sudden better feeling on the replacement side.

• Posted

I am so frustrated eabill, I NEVER had knee pain ever. I did take the cortisone injection on Friday but still no relief. They told me to lay low for 7 days with my PT. My hip feels great. I am losing my mind.

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your knee pain. my Doctor explained very little before surgery. lets just say he had horrendous bed side manner. I never had problems with my knees, no pain, no clicking or cracking. About a week or 2 after surgery the pain was worse than my hip pain or equal thereto. at follow up he completely dismissed my complaint, I never went back to him after that visit. I researched and began walking on uneven gravel as we were having new homes built all around us. All I can say is about 7 or 8 weeks later it cured the pain and my hip discomfort was gone as well. We all heal differently and I'm pretty certain yours will be gone in no time as they brutalized your knee to dislocate the hip. God Bless.

• Posted

My surgeon has a dreadful bedside manner too, he prefers people anaesthetised!! On the either hand he is a brilliant surgeon, so I can forgive him.

• Posted

Thanks Anna, I am hopeful that the pain will go away. Were you still using a walker when you were walking on the uneven surfaces? I finally got some sleep last night with the assistance of medication which I don't like to take to relax me. I have been wound up so tight lately and this depression about this has been a lot. I just want to get back to normal. He also extended my disability from work, my boss will flip out I haven't told her yet. I will probably loose my job, hopefully not.

• Posted

You've a lot going on Ellen and probably not much use in me suggesting you try not to worry to much... you've just been through significant surgery and it takes time to heal. Your medics & your own body will guide you. If you return to work too early, you will be doing neither yourself or your employer any favour ; and it may well result in further absence. While I saw post earlier about walking on uneven surfaces, I wouldn't be sure about that as it's important you don't slip or fall. In time, it really is usual that things improve incrementally with each passing week - including sleep. It can be frustrating being restricted after surgery but for most of us it really is very well worth it.

• Posted

I was on the walker for about 2 weeks. My PT immediately transitioned me to the cane. This was roadway construction gravel and like I mentioned it felt good to very slowly walk on the pretty flat but uneven gravel. I stumbled across this as my hip replacement also felt like it was longer than it had been. My Dr. came in with an xray and said "I am 1mm off!" He had horrible social skills and I sought out my Primary Dr. and he gave me the idea of pilates as well. I just had my 2 year anniversary on January 10th and can now say I sometimes forget I have a new hip. It was a long road Ellen, I would take two steps forward and what seemed like 10 steps back throughout the 1st year. When I say 10 steps back, it would be because I made a sudden movement, pivoted out of the car incorrectly, miss a step going up or downstairs, but I always healed back stronger than before the stumbles. I remember those sleepless nights all to well. Your body will let you know you are getting better, one day you wake up and realize you just did something you couldn't do the day before. Take good care and most definitely listen to your body, as it speaks to us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.