THR - Doing so well and 15 days later unbearable pain!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All!

First I appreciate any insight and wisdon you can give me on this.

I had Anteriior THR on my left hip on March 22nd 2017 and was released from the hospital on the 24th after performing all the actions my surgeon said would give evidence that I was ready for discharge.  My surgeon said I was released without any restrictions and could do anything I wanted up and to the point of causing pain. 

So I get home and things are going so well.  I am able to bend over and pick things up off the floor without pain and the limp I had for so many years was completely gone. I was very reserved and decided not to climb stairs until after my first appointment after sugery.

On the 15th day after the surgery I am in the kitchen fixing a glass of tea(I have my cane). On my way back to the living room I begin to feel a sharp pain in my left groin.  By the time I had traveled the dozen steps or so to the living room I was in excrutiating pain.  The pain was the worst that I can ever recall experiencing (I have had 1/2 dozen broken bones) it literally had me in tears by the time I traveled from my chair in the living room to my bed room; about 20 steps or so.

I didn't feel a pull or a snap or anything when the groin pain appeared and the fact that it got so bad so quickly has me completely befuddled.

I called the surgeons office and they said to stay off of it for a week and then give them another call.  I followed their instructions and a week later the pain is about 80% of what it was so they tell me to stay off ot it for another week and call back.  That was yesterday.

As it stands now, I cannot use a walker as I cannot take any weight on the left leg at all.  I rented a wheel chair and that I how I get to the bathroom.

I am on 10Mgs of oxycodone every 4 hours and I also take two Excedrin Extra Strength which seems to really help.   I am not able to lay horizontal for more than about 90 minutes and then I have to sit in a chair in order for the pain to come under control.  Over the last 4 nights I have been sleeping in my chair in order to try and get some sleep.

I don't feel any grinding or popping when I move to my wheel chair and did not prior to getting my wheel chair when I was using a walker.  Just the groin pain that is very severe and runs down the thigh to about the knee.

Any ideas?

I am scheduled to go to the surgeon's tomorrow, but don't believe I can make the 4 steps down to the garage from my kitchen to make it to my SUV.

I will let you all know what the surgeon says after my appointment, but what I don't understand is how I could be doing so well for over a week and then suddenly be basically crippled without the use of my leg.

Thank you again for any help!

Richard

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How very disappointing for you. It does seem very odd to have been feeing great and now this for no apparent reason.

Sounds as if you will have to go on your bottom to your SUV unless you can get some assistance.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Richard I think you need to go to A&E and if I was you I would consider an ambulance if you can not walk.

The pain you are describing does not sound remotely normal to me at this stage, I am sure you will be fine, but you do need an xray and for a doctor to check your hip is okay and if I were you I would get this done sooner rather than later.

Most of us were given lots of restrictions after surgery, not all, but most of us to avoid dislocation. Bending down and picking things up on week one or two is not something I could have done, did the pain start then?

Wishing you the very best Richard, please let us know how you get on. 

• Posted

Hi Richard

Really surprised you were allowed to bed so early I still can't do it at 4 months and I'm not going to try it. I have some groin pain that came on a couple of weeks ago and think I may have aggravated it. Get a taxi to the hospital I wouldn't try and drive. Usually full restrictions are imposed for 6 weeks. Hope you get some answers and reassurance tomorrow

Good luck

Julie

• Posted

Hello:   Right after surgery i had no pain at all in my thigh or groin.  I did the physical therapy and then after 2 mos. i was discharged.  I started with thigh and groin pain after doing the therapy.  My dr. said discontinue the leg lifts.  I was walking without a walker after 4 weeks and still dont use an aid. But i still get groin and thigh pain .   Not continually but when i sit and then get up, ill get a twinge in the groin.  i am 4 mos. post op.  Hope this helps you.   
  • Posted

If you can't get help to your vehicle then yea u will probably need those vans that take wheelchairs and get to your appointment. That's what I used when I had to go to my appointments. Are u in the United States? That's terrible what you are experiencing!! I know that twisting & bending were not allowed after my surgery. I know there's one other but I can't think of it. Can you think of anything that May of caused it while you were in kitchen?? I went at least a week on a dislocated hip. Kept walking and doing my exercises. Did notice pain and higher hip but never thought of dislocation. Neither did my home therapist!! Hope yours is not too serious. Let us know what they find out. Best of luck to you. Linda D

• Posted

I cannot express how much I appreciate all the wisdom and advice. 

One way or the other I will be going to the doctor's tomorrow.  I live in Independence, Mo USA and we have a program called patient assist where the local fire department will send some of their men to come and assist someone who isn't able to make it to their transportation on their own if they are not busy.

I am a big, burly, healthy man of 61 and am in good health except for the arthritis in my hip.  I also need some knee work, but that is another topic.  cheesygrin  I was a bit surprised when my surgeon told me that I was released from the hospital with no restrictions except not to do anything that "hurt".  I was very careful after coming home and really did stay mostly horizontal or seated except to wait on myself for anything I needed.  And I am just befuddled how I could have damaged my hip just walking from the kitchen assisted with a cane.  It's just a mystery.

I will make sure to update you all after my appointment tomorrow.  I am in hopes that he doesn't find something wrong with the artifical hip in his x-rays which I am sure they will take, but it might also be a relief if he does.  At least I will know where this level of pain is coming from.  I am a grown man and I cannot recall ever being brought to tears by anything physical.

As I stated previously, my surgery was anterior and the first time I called the surgeon's nurse she said that it may be that I damaged or tore some of the muscles that were streatched and strained during the surgery.  That I may have taken them to their breaking point.  I would agree if it were a day or two after the surgery, but not after a full two weeks of healing.  Regardless, I suppose my visit with my surgeon tomorrow will reveal the truth of what is happening.

Thank you all again for your great support and kindness and the very speedy responses to my questions.

Blessings to all!

Richard

• Posted

hi richard, 

warm welcome to this hippies forum .... good that you'll see your surgeon today / tomoroow to have it checked .. 

there are definitely less restrictions with the anterior THR approach, if any ... maybe you twisted your body in an akward way when getting your tea ... very easy to do -

good luck and yes, do come back and let us know the outcome of your visit, okay ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hopefully, by now, you have an answer, but the thing that jumps out at me is that you came home and "did nothing" -  stayed horizontal or seated almost all the time and never used the stairs. These being the things that both my surgeon and physiotherapist said NOT to do! Whilst elevating the foot was recommended for part of the time, so was exercise and walking and using stairs! 

Hopefully this is nothing more than a painful muscle - people often fail to realise that muscles can lock, and easily get pulled or damaged, by inactivity. It isn't just something that results from overactive use.

• Posted

Hi again all!

It turns out that I have a stress fracture where the stem / shank of the prothesis goes into the femur.  I go back into the hospital for surgery Wednesday (today) to have the bone wrapped with wire and clamped, pulling the fracture back in place. The fracture is at the top of the femur and could have been so much worse,  however I am very fortunate that the hip replacement has not moved and is still in perfect position.

It is very good to know what the cause of all this pain is.  The surgeon said that I should have a good recovery and should be back on my feet between 90 and 120 days.  I guess these kinds of fractures take longer than the typical  6 weeks to heal.

Thank you all again for the excellent advice and well wishes.  I will post more information as I have it in hopes that this may be beneficial to others.

Many Blessings!

Richard

• Posted

Richard I am really sorry to hear you have a fracture. I guessed as much by your first post. You are very brave to have waited for so long it must have been incredibly painful - did the consultant say what caused it??

Wishing you the very best for your surgery today. You will soon be back on the road to recovery. Please take care, I am sure we will all be praying for a speedy recovery for you - please let us know how you are. Big hugs 

• Posted

Hi Richard, 

good luck today with your surgery ... You must feel relieved that you know the cause of your pain even though alarming -- 

yes, I also would like to know what your surgeon told you might have caused this crack ...

sending love, light and healing and angel blessings

renee

• Posted

Wishing you all the best in your surgery and recovery. I too had a stress fractures of my femur when I dislocated my first hip replacement and had to have a total hip revision. The dr tied two wires around my femur which will be there permanently said I wouldn't feel them. Good luck! LD

• Posted

Dear Richard

Good to know what has been ccausing the pain but what a bummer to have this set bck.   Best of luck for an less interupted recovery from now on.

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

Dear Renee

Yes it would be interesting to hear from the surgeon why he thinks this happened.   Just by chance I watched a video of a hip operation tover breakfast and it seems that it is important to get a tight 'interference' fit by reaming the bone and then doing a test fitting or fittings.   The prostethesis is then gently tappd into place.   Too tight and splitting can occur which perhaps is what happened to Richard.   I suppose it could be the result of less than strong enough bone but let's hope that is not the reason.

Cheers

Richard

• Posted

Hi Rose,

Yes it was the only time I have ever had physical pain bring me literally to tears.

The surgeon stated that he didn't really know what could have caused it. Whether there was a problem with the bone prior to surgery or whether he used a bit too much pressure to drive the shank of the prothesis into the femur.  It doesn't really matter I am just so thankful that it is now fixed and I can move on after a little time and a little pain.

BTW, the pain I was having before surgery is completely gone. The only pain now is from the incision, the stretching of the muscles or restretching (we did and anterior approach), and the typical pain that comes from hip surgery. 

Thank you Rose for your caring and prayers!

• Posted

I am really happy for you that it is fixed, you sound much chirpier now.

Maybe consider the restrictions just to be safe? Or do you have some now anyway?

Fingers crossed that is the last bump in the road for you, and full steam ahead with a good recovery smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.