THR in 9 days and anxious any tips?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am having a LTHR on the 27th June, I have never had an operation and I'm very anxious, does anyone have any advice on coping with the before and after of the op? 

I was born with hip dysplasia and didn't know I had it, I have always been very active did gymnastic and athletics growing up, I've had four children luckily they are now aged from 13 to 22 years ( I am 42), up until two years ago I was a keen jogger and had active work, then bam I started getting groin pain and over the last two years it's stopped me in my tracks, I've 3 steroid injections and 6 months of physio but this hasn't worked, the docs were going to do an osteotomy but because of angles of my dysplasia there was a risk of impingement and I didn't want to put myself through that for it not to work, so I'm left with THR, and I will be put back on the list for my other hip after this one is done because unfortunately its bilateral, and my right hip became symptomtic 5 months after the left, I am completely gutted, especailly as my cartilage is actually pretty good at the moment, but the pain is dreadful I can't sit comfortably or walk too far, so I know I have no choice.

The doctors told my mum I had hip dysplasia when I was born but it was mild and wouldn't cause me problems so they didn't treat it, she didn't tell me until I started getting pain at age 39, but then she had no idea it would affect me after being told that, i'm glad she did or diagnosis would have been a lot longer! 

Thank you for reading any advice would be great.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Lulu75 dont afraid of something the surgery of hip is too easy ,you fill not any pain you will walk the day of the surgery.

I did it 5 days ego anf now i am very happy for this ,i am sure these day passes soon and we all get perfect.again i am telling it is too easy......

Goodluck.

• Posted

Ah in an ideal world but one needs to be realistic otherwise when things take longer one can feel very disappointed, depressed and let down.

Yes all being well they will get you moving with a walking frame the same day or the next and then progressing to crutches but to be walking well without any aids can take many days, weeks or in some cases months.

Yes the horrible pain you likely suffered for months before surgery should be a thing of the past but it is not an absolute certainty as regulars here know.

Yes most hip surgery goes well thank goodness but I do not think one should call it easy as is very clear if one is brave enough to watch some videos of a hip replacement operation being carried out!

Cheers. Richard

• Posted

I am 46 and found out 6 months ago I have hip dysphasia and needed THR. I was shocked. I've been having pain in my leg and foot for years but never suspected I had severe osteoarthritis in my hip. At the time I thought I could wait till I'm 50 but it got really bad, really fast. I had anterior RTHR yesterday. The operation was easy. But scary!  I had epidural with sedation and it was over in the blink of an eye. Everything went well with no additional problems so I am very happy about that. After recovery I went to my room and the 4 steps with a walker to get in bed almost killed me. Ha! But it didn't smile. I laid in bed taking the meds and got some sleep. This morning they got me out of bed and I shuffled to bathroom. I swear it was the hardest thing I've ever done. But then I sat in chair and feel better and stronger. The next bathroom trip wasn't so bad and then 3 minute walker walk in hall. 

• Posted

Great to hear that you are doing well after your surgery.  They will keep you on pain meds so you shouldn't be uncomfortable.  When do you go home?  Because you will need lots of help at home, hopefully you have this all set up.  I had my surgery on 5/30 and walked about a mile today.  We broke it up into ten minute segments, but it was really a really beautiful walk right by the ocean.  I have had good and bad days, but I am on the mend.  I can walk all around the house w/o cane so i am really getting back to things.  Two more weeks and i think the Dr. will let me go back to most activities.

• Posted

Well done Nikki, your experience sounds just like mine! I had my RTHR last June aged 46. I took it all in my stride (scuse the pun) & 12 months later I don't even know I've had it done! The worst for me was the constipation!

Ask away if you need any tips x

• Posted

That is great to hear!  I already feel so much better than this morning. They said I will be going home tomorrow. I cleaned up the house and walkways and have help. They are giving me a toilet seat rail and walker. I'm considering renting this high hospital chair that has good armrest and foot rest.  $80 for a month but I think it may be worth it.  I don't think I could get up from my couch. 

• Posted

Hi Nikki it sounds as though you are doing really well, I'm wishing you a speedy recovery, I think hiring the chair sounds like a good idea.

Take Care Lulu.

• Posted

Hi Lulu, my THR was last June aged 46. I prepared myself thinking the 1st 2 weeks were going to be pretty horrible but it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. My biggest tip - think positive & do your exercises religiously. I had a goal to be able to walk my dog up & down the road by the end of week 2 & I did it. Short walks little & often & take your time, there's no rush. Take each day as it comes, don't worry about sleep (read my separate post about The Sleep Club) & make sure you have laxatives if they are offered. I suffered constipation for the 1st week & it was worse than the actual op!

Take care, keep us all posted & remember we are all here for each other x

• Posted

Hi Fernlady, thank you for your positive advice I really need to be reading stories such as yours as my op time is so close I'm very fretful, I've done all I can to be organised and I have help when I get home, unfortunately I have been taking a small dose of anti depressant for the last five years for severe anxiety so its a real mental battle to keep myself positive but all the advice I have received on this forum has been so helpful, thank goodness for the internet!

I don't have a dog but I do have two tortoises if I can't keep up with them by the end of two weeks I really will be depressed!

• Posted

Hi Lulu, I think my biggest issue right now is that I feel isolated.  I used to play tennis or workout/swim 6 days a week.  All of the tennis ladies are my friends and I miss seeing them.  They were there for me for the first two weeks, sending food, calling and checking in.  Now I am home alone a lot with nothing to do.  I am allowed to walk each day, but I'm pretty sure no one (except hubby) wants to walk at my snails pace so I go out alone.  I am starting to get depressed. This may be because I ma not sleeping well.    I can't wait for the  next two weeks to be over so I can go back to exercise.  My leg is also still swollen and I literally can only wear a couple of things.  No long pants or shorts fit so it is either compression tights or dresses.  

• Posted

hi staceymaz, 

it's okay darling --- roller coaster ride and a bit confrontational - sometimes it is good to just do nothing - go at your own speed - the only person you always have is you - 

be kind and gentle with your self and know that all is well ..

angel blessings

• Posted

Aww Staceymaz I really feel for you going from being so active to nothing is very difficult, you've just got to hang in there everything is more difficult when you are so tired, I tend to cry all the time, I feel sorry for my family they'll just have to put up with it! I used to go jogging 3/4 times a week and had an active job cleaning but over the last year it's all tapered off, its been a very frustrating time, I recently missed out on a girl's weekend because there is no way I'd keep up with everyone. 

You will soon be back out there enjoying yourself and even more than before because you'll be pain free smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.