THR last Thursday 17th - help with sleep please?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I am nearly 73 and female.

I had a THR right hip February 2021 and was lucky, I had no problems sleeping despite thinking I would wake myself up snoring whilst lying on my back!

This time, my THR for left hip, last Thursday, has been much more troublesome, it's more painful and less maneuverable, but the worst is the lack of sleep. It's too painful to sleep with at night, despite the maximum allowable painkillers. I have tried pillows in various places etc., and I have ended up propped up on a lot of pillows which allowed me to doze a bit.

Do you have any tips, please?

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there!

I have had L THR on the same day as you (3 weeks post op). I find myself on this forum for exactly the same reason! The pain in the day is manageable and I need no pain relief. Night time though is unbearable and I tend to drop off to sleep, through sheer exhaustion, around 4am. I take codeine and paracetamol throughout the night and find myself just waiting for my next dose. Pre op, I took naproxen but was told not to take it just now as it can hinder the healing process. Naproxen managed my pain well with no side effects so and I'm going to ask if i can start taking it again. I am quietly confident that this night pain will settle in time but for now, I'm waiting for pharmacy to call back with how it can be best managed. I keep telling myself not to worry too much, as it really is early days.

• Posted

I was advised to drop any medicine with codeine at night as it can cause a heightened state of mind and even insomnia. Following advice from my pharmacist, I have started my Naproxen again and small dose of Gabapentin for nerve pain. I slept solidly through the night. I didn't think a small change like dumping the night time codeine would work..but I'm so happy. Fingers crossed it will continue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.