THR left hip. How much excercise other than the ones issued by the hospital should I be doing?

Posted , 13 users are following.

i have had the excercise from the hospital but they are mainly sedentary . How much walking around should I be doing 9 days post op . Thank you 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Apart  From the exercises given by the hospital. I was told to go out for a walk each day and to use as a target 3 additional houses each day. I live in a p shaped cup de sac. So did that. Was off of crutches and no walking stick  by 6 weeks. I had a lot of pain after my op but persevered. We all heal at different rates so don't rush things. Xx

• Posted

Hi Elanor.Had TLHR,posterior approach on 1/3.Im walking up and down my long driveway.I went to my mother in laws yesterdayI had cabin fever . My father in law passed 6 days prior to Thanksgiving.She just needs help with getting stuff done.She needs help with paperwork and going places as well as just breaking bread together.I was 9 days out when we went out of the house.I did some extra walking going out to eat ,and was pleased because my leg,which had been aching when I went to bed did not ache last night . I took it easy today but it's now starting to feel better.I wonder if there was some lactic acid buildup that needed to be circulated out . It's like running an engine,and opening it up on a distance run.The engine runs better and gets better milage .Can you tell that I'm married to an Engine Doctor ,other wise known as a Master Mechanic.Anyway listen to your body.This is my 3rd joint ,second hip so I kind of know when I need to slow down,was real slow and careful. Take it easy.

• Posted

Thanks Msky. Sorry to hear of the loss you suffered. 
  • Posted

hi elainor, 

warm welcome to this wonderful hippies forum ...

most of get an exercise sheet from PT when we were discharged  .. in addition to the in bed exercises (foot pumps, ankle rotations and leg slides) some standing exercises are also given ...

9 days post op is still very early in recovery from this major surgery ..

which approach did you get? 

how are you doing otherwise? please come back here and let us know okay?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thanks renee01952 I did get the excercise from the hospital. I just didn't feel I was doing enough. And am stir crazy. Great forum this is, so many fabulous helpful people. Thank you 

• Posted

Ah. The stir crazy phase. Yes, I think everyone had that! THR doesn't mean you have to be a hermit. Go to the cinema. Have a pub lunch. As long as someone else is driving, and you are confident that there is parking within your "comfort zone" or that they can drop and pick up by the door, you can go out. You may not be 100% right now, but on the other hand, when was the last time that you got so much time to just do anything you want? I had a wonderful time seeing all the films, when usually it's a case of wanting to go but never having time. And more lunches out than I ever normally have. Just for once you actually get to be the centre of the universe for a short time.... Use it! 

• Posted

hi elainor, 

we all agree on the going stir-crazy stage .. 

Great tips for things you can do ... Where do you live?

You could increase the reptitions of the exercises you have been given (I know .... booooooooring) - if weather permists, go out for walks -

My PT advised me to go for short walks 2-3 times a day, rather than long ones ... no need to exhaust your self - 

I also was told to lie down on my back and stretch put legs for at least 30 minutes per day ... walking, sitting etc. was still sort of crooked and needed to be stretched out ...

take care

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I agree with most others. You should walk as far as you are comfortable with, and always make sure that you can get back to your starting point. I have an ankle issue that means that I must remain on crutches outside and can't walk very far, but at 9 days I was able to do about a kilometre slowly. Due to my restrictions I use a treadmill now (safer for my ankle) and on a good day I can do about 5 kilometres but not all at once - that's at approaching ten weeks. I dio other exercise as well, but I've found that step aerobics is also great for getting the hip moving, and again, you can do as much as you are comfortable with at whatever pace got are comfortable with, knowing the sofa is nearby!

• Posted

Looking out now out of my second floor window at where i walked at 9 days - with 2 crutches it was about the equivalent of 40 parked car lengths and back again which I reckon is about  1/4mile. Another 10 car lengths took me to the seafront whcih I did the next day -taking a picnic to sit and eat on a seat  so I could have a rest. You may well be managing indoors with one crutch on the side of your good leg but out of doors you are better with 2. They flag up a warning to others that you are struggling and also you can steady yourself if small children or dogs come running by.I think at 2 weeks I had a lift to a small supermarket and could lean on a trolley.
  • Posted

You should be walking quite a lot post op. I was doing about 30 minutes twice a day at that stage and had both lying down and standing up exercises. There were about 12 exercises in all. You'll find information online about these.

• Posted

I feel really let down by my physios. Had my thr on 7th Dec saw about 5 physiotherapists since probably spent a total of one hour between them all. Still on two walking sticks. Doing stand up exercises 4 times a day. Went last week to be told muscle in my thigh weak ...

Yeah really ???? Now been given lie down thigh lifts and knee lifts to do. Couldn't move an inch at first but now at three inches. Will start to get out more and walk which haven't been told to do so with all the bad weather I've been couped up .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.