Thread for New Flu Users! Let's Support Eachother ❤️

Posted , 18 users are following.

Day 15 here. Have/had almost every single SE you can think of. Anxiety, nervousness, sweating, shaking, diarreah, insomnia, tension headache, oh and here's a fun one! My feet are constantly ice cold (despite being 20-30 degrees here in Canada) and they sweat. Like crazy 😭😭

Anyways, just want you all to know you're not alone and would love any new (or anyone still on the journey, really) Flu users to weigh in and we can be each others support for the weeks to come. We can share tips, experiences, and just offer love and support. Thanks!

4 likes, 582 replies

582 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI Laura,

Im at 4.5 weeks. Still wake up with annoying anxiety, nausea and the shakes but it's not as bad as the first few weeks. My evenings are much better and I have had a couple of good days. But then right back to the crappy ones. I'm hoping in the next few weeks I will see more of an improvement. I take clonazepam when it gets rough sometimes but it doesn't always do more than take the edge off. I'm trying to use it as little as possible. But sometimes I just need a break from all of this pain and discomfort. I try and accomplish some stuff everyday, even if it's just cleaning, laundry, walking the dog. Oh and of course doing my best to think positive which can be very difficult when you are not feeling all that great.

I hope you have had some improvements. Let me know how you are doing.

Laurie

• Posted

It sure is one heck of a process, isn't it? I've had a few good days (not in a row lol) then yesterday was the worst one yet. Shakes, headache, anxiety, it was all coming at me at once 😭

And then the good days, I sit there and think about it too much. Like 'I feel fine right now, is it the Flu Working?' Then I'll have thoughts that the flu is altering my feelings, and everythIng I'm feeling isn't real, then freak out about it and can moletely sabotage myself 😭🙄 it's ridiculous. Like I've been praying for a good day then I get it and screw myself out of it. Ugh. Anyways. Trying to start doing mindfulness meditation and am starting CBT in the next week.

• Posted

I do CBT with my therapist. It's supposed to be very good. 

They say it takes so long for the flou. to take effect is because it is actually changing pathways in your brain and that is a slow process.

When I get a good day I love it but I also worry and am scared of going back to the crappy ones. Afraid it will never happen forever. I keep reading the posts on here of the success stories to lift my spirit and confidence.

I just want to be happy, calm and normal again.

This depression and anxiety certainly messes with a person.

• Posted

I'm in the exact same boat and do the same thing. Constantly looking for the success stories! It gives me hope ???? I woke up full of anxiety today, and decided to try about 15 mins of meditation. I really did feel calmer after. For a little while anyways lol. All you do is sit somewhere comfortable, and concentrate on your breath. If you find your mind wandering, just return it to your breath again. It's supposed to help you stay in the moment and train your brain to not look into the past or future. ??

• Posted

I've tried, I'm don't get much out of it. I probably need to practice much more.

The last couple of days have been tough. I had a friend flip out and dump on me on Thursday and I think that has brought my mood down. 

Im just trying to not focus on the negative and keep busy. Although I would love to be able to just go lie down and sleep.

• Posted

Ugh I'm sorry. And it's all the more magnified right now because of what were going through. It's hard to just let these things roll off our backs so easily right now. But, we're so determined to beat this and we're going to come out the other side a million times stronger ???? They say take it a day at a time, but sometimes I'm counting hours and minutes 😂

• Posted

Yes, you are right. We will come through this better and stronger.

I try and remember a few weeks ago I was in constant pain. Now I see some improvement. It's important to try and focus on the good times. They will come more often soon.

And it is important to be flexible and take each day as we need to to get through.

• Posted

Was week 3 a beast for you too? Yesterday was the first day of week 3 for me and so far both yesterday and today have been terrible 😞

• Posted

Yes, I had terrible anxiety, nausea, shakes and depression. I also was very emotional and cried a lot. Week 4 is mildly better.

Hold on, rest when you can and try to take care of yourself.

I hope you see some more peace and improvement soon.

• Posted

I try so hard to get rest during the day, but find I can't sleep at all. I think the flu is a lot more stimulating than the Paxil I was on before, which made me a day-sleeping couch potato, albeit a mellow one. Now I feel so neurotic and that I'm always on edge so I can't properly relax.

I've heard from a lot of people that weeks 2 and 3 are the worst. So even if week 4 is mildly better, I'll take it.

• Posted

How are you today Laurie?
    • Posted

HI Laura,

sorry about the late reply. It's 11am here and I just got back from an appointment with my therapist. That went well. Still waking up with anxiety, nausea and the shakes but a bit better this morning. I also had a good night last night. I usually start calming down around 5-6pm.

How are you doing? Feeling any difference yet?

• Posted

I agree the flux is much more activating than paxil! I was on paxil for 18 years previous to this. Week 7 of Prozac and still toughing it out. Hopefully I turn a corner soon!
    • Posted

Oh wow John! Exactly like me! Did they switch you right off the Paxil onto the flu or do a taper first? Have you had any withdrawals from it? It's nice to see someone going through the same thing.

• Posted

No noting yet.. I imagine it's going to take quite a while. Week 4 will be a bit better, then 5 better yet, etc.. then by weeks 10-12 it should be gravy 😆 Trying to keep in good spirits about it all. Started my cycle today, smack dab in the middle of week 3.. so that's awesome too. Lol hormones and side effects and withdrawals are just brilliant together 😂😂

• Posted

I tapered down to 10 mg of paxil from 20 and then switched me to Lexapro. It was a complete nightmare! I don't know if it was the paxil withdraw or the lexapro but something wasn't right! This was in January. Tried paxil again with no luck now on flux for 7 weeks. It's been a long road especially after feeling pretty good for about 18 years with minor blips.

• Posted

Ugh yeah that was probably way too fast of a switch for you. They say if you're going to do a switch that fast from Paxil, it's better to use the flu as they're pretty similar drugs. So I'm glad they put you on the right track eventually. The withdrawals are horrendous from Paxil 😭😭 I'm so thankful I have some awesome people to talk to about this though. It would be so hard going it alone. How are you today john?

• Posted

Lots of anxiety and panic this morning. But going to push on with the day. Going to a cookout.
    • Posted

Happy Fourth to you! I'm your northern neighbour, near Vancouver smile

• Posted

Thank you Laura and John,

Going to my appointment now.

oh I'm from Ontario.

Laurie xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.