Threadworms for 4 months, please help!

Posted , 1 user is following.

I’ve thought I’ve had pinworms for the last few months, since beginning of September, but I can’t understand how I could’ve gotten them as I haven’t been in contact with ANYONE other than my elderly grandmother who doesn’t go anywhere as she is at risk due to covid-19, and my 11 month old little cousin and his mum, my aunt, who also doesn’t go anywhere as his mum is paranoid about the virus. A pharmacist I spoke to convinced me I caught it from takeout food bur if this is the case surely my other family members should have it too?

I’ve had vaginal itching at night on and off and since September and I keep seeing tiny white things in my bowel movements but have never seen them move. To be safe I went to my pharmacist and got the medication, mebendazole, and took it once and then again 2 weeks later. My mum also took it as we live together since I’m doing university classes online due to covid-19. I also sometimes see white flakes/specks in my underwear although I’m not sure if this is related at all. During the time I took the medication and afterwards I continued to see the things in my stool, this never disappeared, but the itchiness comes and goes.

As I was still concerned I went to my doctor last week and got a stool test done, but this came back negative even though I continued to see things in my stool. He gave me the medication to take twice a day for 3 days which I did this week, however the itching has gotten worse over this week to the point where I am unconsciously scratching at night (with clothes and underwear on) and last night I saw quite a lot of white specks in the rear end of my underwear as well as thick sticky white discharge at the front.

I took another prescription of mebendazole twice a day for 3 days prescribed by my doctor but this didn't do anything. During this time I definitively saw a white non-moving worm in my stool curled up (so disgusting I know!!) so I'm quite sure this is what it is. I went back to a different doctor who gave me Albendazole to take twice a day for 3 days which is much stronger. She assured me I wouldn't need another dose after 2 weeks as it is very strong and I am of course washing myself thoroughly, changing sheets often, vacuuming, damp dusting and washing my hands with a nail brush. For the last few days every evening when I go to change my underwear and put pajamas on I find my underwear is filled with these white specks again on both the rear end and the vaginal end as well as this white discharge at the front. I don't know what this is but I am genuinely so fed up of this as I saw a worm today in my stool. Does anyone know what these specks are?

My hands are literally raw from all the washing and my mum is fed up of all the laundry and cleaning we have had to do and she says she can't continue as its obviously expensive to run the machine everyday. I can’t understand why this isn’t going away or how I could even have caught it in the first place when I never had this as a child. I asked my doctor this and he just said “do you want me to make you even more paranoid?”

Also, I'm not sure if I have them in my ears, eyes and nose as I have been recently waking up in the night with intense itching inside my ears, nose and sometimes eyes which I cannot understand as I do not ever touch any of those regions. I have OCD which makes me obsessive about washing my hands in general, which again is why I cannot understand where this has come from and another reason why my doctor does not fully believe I have this, he thinks I just believe I have it which is so insulting.

Please please please if anyone has any kind of advice it would be greatly appreciated. I am absolutely miserable and driving myself insane as I'm so so afraid of passing it onto my mum who I live with as well as my cousin who is too young to take the medication if he got it. My mum has also taken 2 doses of mebendazole in case she had it, but she has never had any symptoms.

Thank you in advance,

Tatiana

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.