Threadworms -weight loss

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anyone else had a problem with weight loss, in particular lose of muscles in legs? Around a few pounds to half a stone over a few months. I'm pretty sure I have threadworms yet I have never seen a single worm come out of my body. Do they just hide up? I gave my daughter another ovex dose to check how she's doing and one worm came out with the poo. It was definitely one, possibly alive. Yet with me, I get the itching, nausea, weight loss but never see worms in my bum. And it's very hard to tell from the poo. Things look wormy but you can't tell if it's food bits. I also get very hungry during the night. Wondered if anyone has these two symptoms. I think my thyroid is a bit up and down also which could explain the symptoms but that never shows up in tests. I eat a lot. It's a constant battle getting enough calories in me. I'm gluten free, dairy free, sugar free pescetarian which limits it but even so....

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yep I struggle with my weight as well cannot get above 100lbs. I also have a thyroid problem as well, either the threadworm caused it or it's keeping them here or both. I also never see them unless I take the med then only see a couple in stool. They are extremely small & are good at hiding.

• Posted

I have had chronic candida for quite some time and do believe it is all connected... Disturbance in gut flora makes it easier for parasites to get a hold etc. I think female hormone imbalances also influence it. My herbalist said threadworms particularly like progesterone. Not sure about the thyroid connection. It feels like my food consumption can't keep up with my metabolic rate so it could be thyroid or parasites, or both. I do suffer from mysterious hot flush type things which suggests thyroid although nothing shows up on tests. Also think I'm peri menopausal. It's all very frustrating though.
  • Posted

The signs and symptoms of threadworm infection vary, depending on the stage of the disease.

Patients with long-term threadworm infections may develop an itchy skin rash near the buttocks, abdomen, and/or thighs. Some patients may only have mild diarrhoea and cramping, while others may have nausea, vomiting, fever, fatigue, weight loss, unusual increase in appetite and blood or mucus in the stools.

Getting done your stool examination is the probable way to confirm the infection. An ultrasound test usually works when there is a severe infestation of worms. With the ultrasound, your doctor will find out the exact location of the worms.

Luis

• Posted

I am 78 and normally weigh around 120 lbs. Two years ago I gradually started losing weight and now am around 100. I have a big appetite and can eat half again more than my 195 lb husband. I have had every test the doctors can think of including for worms and all are negative. I do tire but I an very active with house and yard work. I also lap swim and work two days a week at a thrift shop. I sometimes feel nauseated but it usually goes away. I am hungry most of the time. If anyone has a suggestion let me know. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.