Three Cervical Fusions on top of existing Cervical fusion

Posted , 8 users are following.

The Dr told me I need 3 cervical fusions due to 3 bulging disks that are cutting off spinal fluid in my neck, I already had C4 and C5 fused. I deal with the pain constantly and it is getting old. He told me I would have very limited movement with my neck. My questions are, did anyone else on this forum have the same operation and would you do it again. My other concern, what happens if I refuse to go through with it, possible damage to the spinal cord or other complications ?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have 4 degenerated discs from c7-c7. My surgeon said he would only rust doing 1 disc as all 4 would mean I could no longer turn my head. I also have severe lumbar disc and facet joint degeneration and my hips too - I have widespread osteoarthritis. May I ask what pain issues you suffer and what medication you are taking please?
    • Posted

I already had one fusion in my neck, C4/C5 I think, had two fusions in my lower back from S1 up to L4. For that I take Ultram which takes the edge off but thats about it. I also have carpal tunnel which is an easy fix and severe neuropathy that I take neurotin for and bad knees which I am getting cordizone shots for. After I go on Medicare next year, I am getting my knees done. Arthritis at different spots in my body. Years of heavy lifting tore my body up, I tell the young guys, getting old isn't for sissies.
  • Posted

Hi there chilimon obstruction of the spinal canal is called myelopathy I've had an anterior cervical fusion from c4 to c7 last November there is a great group on Facebook called myelopathy run by people who have the same condition hope you find the information in there useful
  • Posted

Hi Chilimon,

I strongly encourage you to join the facebook support group called Cervical Melopathy All Spine, Joint and Muscle Conditions. They have neurosurgeons and radiologists to confer with as well as many suffering and seeking advice regarding their symptoms and conditions. There are so many going through what you are going through...

• Posted

I went to that page but there were only 3 posts and no place to like or join the page.
    • Posted

Well that is strange...there is but also try Radiology Patient Support Group MRI scans, Xrays and CT scans as this is connected to and has the same members as the Cervical Myelopathy group.  If you can't get on this site let me know and I will send a message to the person who runs the site.  The radiology site is hopping...lots of posts every hour...thinking maybe everyone is posting most of their comments there instead of the cervical myelopathy support group...
    • Posted

Lynn, I am new and have just been diagnosed with cervical myelopathy. I have a bunch of other conditions as well and I'm nervous about having surgery to have three discs replaced. I see the doc tomorrow, but will probably ask for a second opinion. How do you get to the forum or the Radiology Patient Support Group? I'm not on facebook, but my husband is.

• Posted

Hi Chilimon you looked at the wrong FB page as I joined this group too its called Cervical Myelopathy, All Spine, Joint and Muscle conditions - we have over 820 members. I have sent a link to the group - just waiting for admin to kindly moderate the post smile 

• Posted

Hi nan63129, I have sent you a link to the radiology group or if you tell your husband to search on facebook for radiology support group and click in the link. The other group is called Cervical Myelopathy Support Group, All Spine, Joint and Muscle conditions they have over 820 people with many suffering from cervical myelopathy including the admins. I hope the surgery goes well for you. I have had 3 level surgery too. Once the bones fuse your neck pain should cease. Out of 800 people in the group not one person has had any surgical problems ie; infections or anything else. I hope this reassures you. The surgery is designed to halt the progression of your symptoms. It is advised not to delay any surgery as neurological symptoms need to be treated in a timely manner. I hope to see you in the group and speak to you in here also. Best wishes smile  

• Posted

I'm really new at this, Steve. Where do I find the link to the radiology group?

I'll try to find the other group as well. I am a young 72 (think young, look fairly young), and I wonder if I'll have the same results. I also have a few other conditions.

I'll be getting a second opinion on Wednesday. This is all so unnerving. I don't really have any pain, but I have had terrible pain in the past. Without the pain, the only reason I got the MRI was because I was so off-balance, and my leg(s) giving way with me. Even at that, it took over a year for a doctor to take me seriously.

It really is comforting to hear so many people have had good results from this. Thank you so much for sharing that.

Nan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.