Three days on Citalopram- Help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I've been prescribed 10mg for severe anxiety. Do you think that this dose is high enough? I'm terrified of going back to work and having a panic attack, I'm due back in a week.

So far my brain feels really foggy and I'm struggling to make simple decisions and have conversations. Just feel really spaced out. I haven't really seen this as a side effect elsewhere? Also I feel really heavy walking around, like lead. Is this normal?

How long will these symptoms last and should I persevere?

And advice would be greatly received, I'm terrified that I'll never feel better and I'll lose my job, house, everything...

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sarah, yeah 10mg is good for starters, but you will probably need a higher dose after 4-6 weeks. I didn't start feeling better until I was upped to 20mg. All the side effects will subside in a few weeks. Need not to worry, please keep going. You will see better days soon. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Posted

Thanks Jonny. Will the 10mg stop panic attacks do you think? Should I be on a higher dose before going back to work? Really scared off the anxiety coming back when I'm not expecting it.

• Posted

Honestly, yes and no. 10mg did help me some, but the panic attacks still came. Sometimes a lot worse than before. I didn't feel the difference until I was moved up to 20mg. But we are two different people. I still get attacks but, im able to thwart it off. I may be worse off than you, just give it time . 10mg may be the answer for you. Glad you still able to go to work, that's very positive. Keep going to work and just remember panic attack symptoms are uncomfortable but not dangerous. Write that down and remember to live by that. "Panic attack symptoms are uncomfortable, but not dangerous"

• Posted

I got given 10mg but I cut it in half for a week then started the 10 I also had foggy head and struggled to concentrate but feel abit better now am 2 weeks in now still get slight panic thinking about my heart but not as bad they say can take 6 weeks to get the full effect
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

I feel exactly just like you in the fact that sometime when my anxiety is bad I think what if I lose my job/house etc but when I'm not anxious, I think my family would not allow this to happen. It's just because your anxiety is bad you always think the worst!

I think the doctor always starts you on 10mg to ensure side effects not bad. If after 1 month you do not feel any better the doc will probably increase dose.

• Posted

Thanks Elaine. Will I feel any better before the month is out do you think?
    • Posted

I started to feel better after my 2nd week of being on them. Noticed each day feeling better. Fingers crossed Sarah x
  • Posted

Hi Sarah

I started on 10mg and my anxiety got worse for 4 days then started feeling better then upped to 15 and stayed on that for 5 months and gone to 10 and I've been great I am back to my normal self and get slight anxiety now and again but I can handle that. Please stick with it as it is worth it I'm doing really good and you will too

• Posted

Brilliant thank you, that is reassuring. I thought the low dose may have been my doctor underestimating how I feel.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, if you have a look on the packet description it says 10mg for panic and 20mg for depression. I find 10mg helps me a lot with my anxiety, I did find that I felt worse before I felt better. So if you do feel bit worse don't worry it's normal, but then again it might not effect you this way.

Citalopram is brilliant for anxiety! I was on it for 7 years.

You will feel better, try to relax the best you can and take each day as it comes.

I find drinking chamomile tea calms anxiety aswell!! 👍🏻👍🏻

10mg will definitely help, and in a few weeks you can decide whether you need to go up smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.