Three detox,s campral,naltrexone,time for something new Nalfemene

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just been prescribed nalfemene and I'm still on camprel should I take both

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There should be no need John. Nalmefene will do a good job on its own.
    • Posted

Yes I think you're right but problem is timing

took the first one yesterday and today I feel terrible thing is I'm going on holiday on monday so don't want to be like this so I'm hoping if I don't take another i'll be ok

I do all the driving

• Posted

I can get time off work for this if I need to or get lighter duties,no driving
    • Posted

The side effects get less each time you take it and will be gone completely after you have taken it a few times. I would either persist or, if you are not going to drink while you are away, use Campral and restart Nalmefene when you get home.
    • Posted

There are no restrictions on driving with Nalmefene. Like all medications, if you feel that the effects of a drug affect your ability to drive safely, you shouldn't drive. Nalmefene doesn't come with a warning that you 'should not drive or operate machinery' so it has to come down to common sense, depending on how you are feeling, John.
    • Posted

There is no known interaction between Nalmefene and Zopiclone, John. As Nalmefene can cause some sleep disturbances in the first few days, it is likely that quite a few people take the two at the same time when they first start Nalmefene.
    • Posted

Can't believe that from one nalfemene on Friday night I'm still slightly dizzy on Monday morning definitely going to have to be off work for a week which is bad in itself cos I don't think about alcohol when I'm there but I suppose I won't when I'm going through side effects
    • Posted

I have known people have severe side effects with their first pill and absolutely no side effects with their second, John smile
    • Posted

Yes I've started to take my nalfemene had one yesterday afternoon and I will persevere with them and see where it goes
    • Posted

what side effects can i expect if i drop from 13 units a day to none cos ive taken 3 nalfamene so far and i can,t seem to stomach alchohol at all but i feel like i,m coming unstuck
    • Posted

This is one reason why the recommended level of drinking is 5 units a day for women and 7 for men. The risk of alcohol withdrawal symptoms if a person takes Nalmefene, doesn't want to drink and stops abruptly.

I would suggest that you keep some alcohol around and drink if you get ANY withdrawal symptoms at all.

Nalemefene will not do much if you take it and don't drink with it. The reaction to alcohol after taking Nalmefene is crucial to unlearn your addiction. Even if you drink one can of beer, it will be better.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice I can drink but it is a struggle I just can't see the end of the tunnel with these side effects I feel like I'm going crazy if I go back to doctors he'll just take me off them
    • Posted

If you are not going to drink, John, don't take a pill, it's a waste of time. However, if you want to get over the side effects, you are almost halfway there if you take 1 a day.

I am assuming that by side effects, you mean the side effects of the Nalmefene and NOT alcohol withdrawal symptoms, am I right?

• Posted

Yes, those are common symptoms of Nalmefene, John, I promise you that DO subside over the first week and are gone after taking the drug six or seven times.

There are private services John, but they will cost you. To be honest, you are one of the fortunate ones because you have a GP willing to give you medical treatments. Many people can't get them without paying for private treatment. Your GP sounds better than many, I would stick with what you are doing. You WILL see the rewards. This week of horrible symptoms is certainly better than the long term complications of excessive drinking and, if you get to a certain point, there is no way back.

Keep going Mate, you will get there! smile

• Posted

Can you tell me what the difference is between nalmafene and naltrexone as I had no side effects with that and I thought they were the same thing
    • Posted

Nalmefene is a newer drug which is, according to some, more effective. Nalmefene is also more gentle on the liver.
    • Posted

Yes I'm going back to doctors in the morning to get another sick note so I can go back to work but not have to drive.I also want to go back under alcohol support I need someone to talk to

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.