Three part proximal fracture of left humerus still stiff and aching after 14 weeks.

Posted , 3 users are following.

On December 6th, 2022 I tripped, fell, and sustained a three part proximal fracture of my left humerus. Although x-rays taken on the 8th February, 2023 showed that one of the fractures had not yet fully knit ("not fully united yet radiologically"), it was thought that the fracture was healing pretty well and showed "satisfactory position of [the] fracture with some good evidence of bony healing". I have been doing exercises recommended by the physiotherapist regularly but am a bit despondent that, 14 weeks after the injury occurred (we are now in March 2023), I am still experiencing stiffness and aching in the arm and shoulder. These symptoms are at their strongest first thing in the morning and during the evening.

I believe that stiffness and aching in a fractured shoulder can take up to a year to subside and am wondering if anybody else out there has had experience of this and can share methods they have used to reduce the pain, other than taking NSAIDS. Has anybody, for example, tried acupuncture once they have been reassured that the bones have fully knit? I use products like Tiger Balm and Boswellia serata cream and also Voltarol gel when the aching becomes obtrusive. Is there anything else I can do to help myself?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

hi hilary

pain in the shoulder. who needs it.

been in ache for years and tried so much. actually tried most things.

my go to weapon now is my ice machine for really crappy days. but only lasts as long as it is on

i use electro magnetic heated shoulder strap in the mornings . nice warm feeling loosens up the muscles.

got mine in the USA. from the mend-me-shop its the t-shellz brace. have a google

colin

• Edited

your do everything you can . one difficult concept to cope with is that no one or no treatment can hurry healing . it takes time , a good diet, sleep , vitamins and patience.

sending healing vibes your way, and of course lot's of hugs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.