Three years three months since TKR & still no resolution to the constant pain when walking.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Since my TKR on my right knee in 2016 i have suffered a rubbing or chafing pain under and to the left hand side of my knee. At times the pain is so severe that i feel as if something is going to come through the side of my knee. I have no such pain when i sit or lay - it only occurs when my knee is weight bearing at the walk. x rays & scans have not resolved this - apart from an ultrasound which showed the ilotibial band is impinged under the prosthesis. However the Consultants do not seem to agree that this could be the cause. My knee is constantly sore but becomes unbearable when i start to walk.

i n desperation i ask has anyone else out there suffered anything similar?? & perhaps have had the problem resolved? Any such information would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am just over a year, December 10th, 2018 bilateral TKR surgery and have the same issue. It is worse on my left leg than the right. Right feels almost 100%, left is about 20%.I have gone to my surgeon. family doctor and pain clinic who all say everything is fine. I have some bad days, like yesterday, when I feel like I don't know how to get through the day, and end up shedding some tears. I know we all heal at a different rate, and that everything is fine based on xrays and nerve tests, but it's the time waiting to get the results I was assured would come that is hard to deal with. I am very interested to know what has been successful for others as well. I try it all, chiropractor, massage , accupuncture, exercise, stretches, physio and nothing has taken this pain away.

• Posted

I know how you feel - it is not right!

You feel as if you are banging your head against a wall. No Professionals have a clue what you are going through. i have tried all of them - just as you have , even nerve blocks don't work. they need to be able to look at what is happening to the soft tissue under and to side of knee - they keep checking the prosthesis & telling me its in the right position - so what!!

its whats going on under & to side of it thats causing the problem. I am

about to see a 4th Consultant - i pray he listens to what i am saying & comes up with a solution. Dont give up - there must be an answer - for both of us.

• Posted

Same here; my surgery was Jan 31, 2018, so almost two years ago. After a scoping of my knee to get rid of scar tissue, Im still in constant pain when bearing weight on my knee. After seeing 3 other surgeons, besides the one that did the original operation, I went to see yet another surgeon at Duke Hospital in Durham, NC, and he finally believed me, look over my surgical notes from the previous surguries, and decided to take this implant OUT and put another one in.... A revision. I am dreading it, and looking forward to it at the same time. Won't be until April tho. He's a busy busy man.

• Posted

Do hope revision works for you . Here in UK i haven't been offered one - but i think i the end thats what it will come to.

Best wishes & good luck with new knee !!

• Posted

Not at 3 years. My question is: Did you complete the muscle rebuild?...

Muscle Rebuild

After the op, your surrounding musculature is dead. Rebuilding your strength takes the load off the knee and puts it back on the muscles. Skipping this step keeps the pressure on the knee resulting in pain. Gotta get that strength back. After a TKR, that work is done months 4 through 12.

Also, the knee MUST be kept active forever or else stiffness will return even years later. Knee activity and strength must be part of your daily activities. Sit around and you end up in pain.

As long as the docs have done the imaging and find nothing structurally wrong, plus they did an exam and ruled out meniscus, ACL, etc., then your goal should be to do the strength training and knee activity.

• Posted

I had my tkr jan 2018 started getting pain in it fpund out what it is hamstring not attached to tendon ligaments getting physio which seem to have sorted it fingers crossed it stays that way hopefully they sort you put you know yourself its not right.

• Posted

I an 15 1/2 months out. I can walk for 50 minutes and am ok but once I stop the pain is there and at a mid level. If I go out and have to stand around I have the same problem. I figure I have to give it a good 24 months before getting crazy but I am not happy. My other knee is not good but no way will I have a replacement at this time, seeking alternatives. COOLIEF is one I am looking at.

• Posted

COOLIEF is absolutely what I'll do when #2 starts acting up. No-brainer decision.

Walking... Time and distance are irrelevant...it's the STEPS that matter because they put the load on the knee. Get a pedometer to track your step progress every day. The software will graph it for you. Pain? Back off, ice, elevate, go to a lower step count, increase gradually.

Another possible reason for the pain is lack of muscle strength. The Muscle Rebuild is a mandatory part of the recovery. Gotta get all that pressure off the new knee and back on the surrounding musculature where it really belongs...

Muscle Rebuild

You can do this!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.