Three years today.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Apologies if I have written this before. Three years since bowel cancer surgery and all is well. That's all really, except best wishes to all. 

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi again. Just reading through these posts again. I hope you are all ok and not worrying too much. I'm up to 45 months now and latest CEA was normal. But being me, I'm now thinking about my next follow up colonoscopy due mid November! I keep telling myself that as there have been no bad test results of any sort, there is no reason why this should not continue. My councellor says to live in the present and I try to do that. My colorectal nurse can't give me reassurance because of course, she can't look into the future. But a few encouraging statistics for the 45 month period would help! 

Sorry, this is a bit introverted. I am interested to know how the people in this discussion are getting on. I find it helps to share, even though most of you are 12,000 miles away! 

Best wishes. 

• Posted

Hi John-pleased to hear your good news. (it's 2 yrs 6months for me since ...)

Have had 3 different appointments for my check-(should have been last week) now it's November !!

Have a shortage of consultants here in E Sussex (UK) and I think one of the 'team' is retiring.

Told my GPrac and he said to get blood test done 22nd Aug and he will give me results 1st week in September-(but I won't see my consultant till 9th November)!and if I do see a consultant it may not be the one who did 'the job'!!

I feel okay but disappointed that my (checkj has not been done yet-

So good to hear from you

Stay in touch and stay well

Susan x

• Posted

Hi Susan, Sorry to hear your appointments have been altered.My husband had his 6 month CT scan in May and thankfully it was clear.

Originally I am sure we were told he would have scans every 6 months but now have been told he will have CEA blood test only in November.Are things the same where you live? I have read that the CEA test is not always 100% accurate in detecting a recurrence.

They are also trying to give the results by phone in our area so may not even see a consultant.

Take care

Jenny.

• Posted

Hi Jenny

Glad your hubby is okay-I don't know what (if any )other changes have been made as my last scan was Jan/Feb 2017.I live in E Sussex NHS area-

Can't you ask your GP how accurate  he thinks CEA tests are ?

I'm going for my blood test next Tuesday and will see my GP 1st week in September-so I'm all in 'the dark' at the moment.

Sincere wishes to you both

Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan. I'm still here. Passed the 46 month mark not long ago and anxiously waiting for the colonoscopy appt. I rang the hospital and they said it's planned for October, but could be Nov or maybe Dec. Bowel prep for Christmas she joked. Yes, I did laugh. Even Jan was mentioned! I have been told by a cancer society nurse here that if the one year check is ok, then the 4 year one should be, as tumours take 10 years or so to grow. But it's still a worrying time. 

?I hope your blood test was ok. Waiting is very stressful, but I can't really complain here as I get results very quickly. 

Please keep in touch, I find it held to share things. 

• Posted

Hi John-glad you are well.

Next Feb will be 3 years clear for me-(although I have my scan/bloods January 2018).

This recent test was clear t.g.-I wrote to the Colo-Rectal Nurse asking why my appointment had been changed 3 x-she told me why-and also said that my test was 'clear'-I then said well I don't have to attend Nov as the same result will be told me then -she said she would send me another appointment for consultant/bloods/scan -have received appointment for consultant and a blood test sheet-but no scan date yet!

Hope all will go well for your camera job-and that you won't have to have any more sessions at hospital.

I feel o.k -I do Yoga in the morning every day-watch my diet (lost weight) which I wanted to do-having less refined

sugar-chocolate etc etc--have also cut down carbs. (My husband is a diabetic so he doesn't eat too many carbs either)!

Warmest wishes

Susan

• Posted

Now I've been told the ?colonoscopy will be in January! Ho hum. Can't do much about that. Keep well. John. 

• Posted

Hello John-Regarding your colonoscopy in Jan-

hope all will go well for you-

Best regards

Susan

• Posted

My husband is having right hemilectomy bowel surgery in 13 days i am stressing about what to expect thanks for any help 

• Posted

Hi 1954marg

I am not an expert at these things (far from it) - but obviously he will feel weak after surgery and also very tired-he may stay in hospital for more than 8 days (I was in for 8)-depending on how he responds to the surgery and after care etc.

Hope things won't be too difficult for you both- It will take time for him to recover-be prepared.

My husband had to look after me and give me injections every day for 5 weeks-if you are unable to do the (blood thinning)injections-you should tell the hospital and perhaps your local GP surgery can be involved in this. He may not feel as bad as you think-his appetite may not  be good for a while-but everyone is different.

If I can answer anything else you may need -I will try my best to answer you !

I am not a professional just another person who has had bowel cancer -

But really your GP needs to help at this time-

Best regards

Susan

• Posted

Thanks Susan for your helpful advice i am more worried about his surgery than him will keep you updated 

• Posted

Hi Marg. ?I'm not a medical person either. My own experience four years ago was fairly routine after the initial stress. They took a longish piece as it was an extended rt hemicolectomy with a blockage and two small perforations well away from the tumour. I developed an infection at the bottom of the scar which took a while to clear. I had daily ?visits from a district nurse to pack the wound. I was ok with the daily injections. Surgery should be routine and the recovery also. I didn't need a bag, I don't think these types of procedures do. So, all the best. It should be all good. I didn't have chemo either, but your team will know what to do! 

• Posted

Hi Marg-I expect there will be a pre-surgery chat with the consultant(or have you had this already) ?

If not ask your GP anything you are worried about-also things that you may not have information about after surgery.

How about your consultant's  Colo-Rectal Nurse-(I still have contact with mine)-I e-mail her fairly often to ask questions-she usually replies when she can-(sometimes it's a longer wait than others)!

Do keep us up to speed onyour  husband's progress.

Best regards to both

Susan

• Posted

My cancer was fairly well advanced at T3 and I had this op three years ago. No doubt we are all different but I found it to be a bit of an anticlimax. I was taken into the theatre at about 8:30 in the morning and came to in a side ward around lunch time, and was fed a substantial meal about an hour later. There was some initial soreness and it was not a good idea to move too quickly but I found that after a day I was able to get around without very much difficulty.

The dominant factor in the time that I spent in hospital seemed to be the need to demonstrate that my digestive system was working end to end, so to speak. As soon as this took place, after four days, I was discharged and a day later I was out in the car shopping albeit making sure that I didn’t do anything too strenuous.

I had three incisions about 1cm long two of which were for the manipulators and the third for the camera, and one about 5cm through which the chopped out bit was extracted.. All healed quite rapidly and it is now very difficult to see where they were.

Post op I was monitored by the surgeon and by the research oncology team (perhaps I should mention that I opted to take part in a medical trial associated with the chemo) at 6 month intervals. After a couple of sessions the surgeon decided that he didn’t need to see me again and left it to the research team to continue the monitoring. At the last session, the consultant decided to move me onto annual monitoring.

By the way, I was 78 at the time of the operation.

I hope all goes well for your husband. The procedures these days are well established and not as invasive as they used to be

• Posted

You will know ?that laproscopic surgery is less invasive than open surgery. Mine was ?open, so the ?recovery time was longer. I also developed a large hernia which was repaired with mesh. Your surgeon will probably ?discuss the options. I don't think laproscopic surgery is  a major hernia risk. Don't worry! 

• Posted

You have my sympathy, John, going through open surgery is not the most pleasant of experiences and I can well imagine that the recovery time is very much longer.  Reading your earlier posts I see that yours was not a straightforward situation, for a normal right hemicolectomy the standard these days is for laparoscopy surgery - at least in the UK.  Good luck with your continued recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.