Throat irritation almost 2 years!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Started in Sept of 2016 with a mild sore throat. Long story short I've had barium swallow xray several doctor visits , blood test and endoscopy/biopsy last year. My throat has been dry the whole time worse the past few months. If I talk too long or yell at all, my throat gets really dry and scratchy. Waiting for ent appt. Any advise would be great! Thanks!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

• Posted

Have you been checked for autoimmune diseases? particularly for Sjogren's as you get dry mouth and dry eyes with that.

• Posted

No. But I'm waiting to see an ent. Its mostly my throat that is dry not my eyes. Mouth is a little dry at times. And I can't yell because it bothers my throat. Thank you for response!

• Posted

Did it start with illness. 

2 years. Long time. Am assuming u are not going through menopause until u say differently.  Do u have tonsils?

Consider that doctors can’t see very far down your throat. 

U will see on the other page lingual tonsillitis which is different to paletine tonsils. Which lots of us have removed as kids. 

But consider ; gerd. Snoring, post nasal drip.  

I was dx with gerd. Meds did nothing to help me. 

Does gargle with salt water help

Over counter pain meds? 

Hot black herbal tea to sip 

Lozenges.

Smoking.  Environmental factors. 

2nd hand smoke.  Chemicals at work. Do u feel better at home. 

Sip on cold water. Or water down fizzy drinks.

Orange juice.

Peppermint tea. Both  Good for  singers throat. 

I hope the ENT can help u. 

Ask if it is red.  Swollen.  Etc

Sometimes ppl need retraining on how to use their voice eg teachers. 

Resting your voice. Does it help?

Does cold air bother it. 

• Posted

Post menopause has a drying of throat. 

Medication can cause dryness of throat 

Dehydratio, and i mean lack of water (not tea. Or coffee or fizzy drinks).  Lots of ppl don’t drink water. 

I shout at my dogs. It’s painful but didn’t have this when i shouted at my kids years ago. 

Sucking on a sweet boiled sweet can create mouisture in mouth. 

In Australia we have biotene products for dry mouth. Tooth paste. Gargle. And a gel

Chewing gum. Is good for dry throats. (I hate chewing gum )

No dry eyes means no Sjogrens 

Looking at immune system is another thing.  A general blood test won’t pick this up. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply rhonda! I do smoke and snore. But i cut back on smoking from apprx.15 to 20 cigs a day to 3-5 cigs a day. Am trying to quit. I do have tonsils. I had an endoscopy/biopsy last year. So they seen clearly down my throat. I do have health anxiety. And yeah our air quality sucks here in porterville ca
    • Posted

And no illness. I rarely get sick at all
    • Posted

I should mention i am a male 44years old
  • Posted

Lol.  Sorry.  I read it as Tamie.  But it's Tamiel. 

Hi 

I am from Melb Australia 

does your throat get u down.  I hate making phone calls cos my throat hurts

have garaged with salt and water ?

also a trip to dentist is a good idea afterENT

havevu got a date for appt yet. ?

what country are u in ?

my nick name is Ronnie that gets confusing cos ppl think i am a boy 

I have grandchildren and just retired 

u had an endoscopy last year. Was that Gastrointerologist? That would rule out Gerd ?

cos ENT should do one down nose down throat

look at pharynx larynx.  And they can see the lingual tonsils. This is rare and a lot of ENT's don't know about it.   Thus my first ENT misdiagnosed it 

waiting.must be hard 

• Posted

Update. Ent says voice box is irritated so anti biotics for 3 weeks
    • Posted

I have had the same problem as you along with swallowing problems had ent last week and it’s dry throat caused by my medication have changed it to a new one and after 4 months of feeling like a globe is stuck in my throat it’s gone so if your on medication that can cause the dryness as well 
    • Posted

No meds here until now. Anti biotics. Some days i dont feel it. Once in a while i feel acid but not often. Mucas just sitting at back of throat sucks. No problem swallowing. Thanks 4 reply
  • Posted

Oh that is a good point re dryness, being medication. It reminds me that the ENT said to get one of the things that put moisture in my mouth and nose.  But that didn't work.  My son and I have allergy problems when the ducted heating gets turned on.  

post nasal drip could drip onto the throat all the time.  But CLT doesn't look like that. 

I have been misdiagnosed for GERD   Taken the medication for it to no avail. 

I was on antibiotics and improved.  And now it's getting really sore again.  Will get more antibiotics tomorrow.    As I am not making mucous. Nothing is dropping onto my throat 

am back on whole foods. Gluten free. Organic. But as my husband does the shopping it is not always the right thing. He is tryng.  (The Gastrointerologist doesnt eat like this. But said he should. ). 

I have heard lots recently about gluten free. (And I don't mean Coeliac disease. ) but rather returning to eating like we did in 50's.  But there is evidence that it is good for The immune system

Good to reduce inflammation.   

• Posted

Do either of u get anxiety from this? I often get really bad. I have 3 young kids so i get bad anxiety
    • Posted

Interesting that you mention anxiety, because that can be a cause of dry mouth/throat.

(Not a doctor or medical advice).

• Posted

Thanks 4 chiming in! I have thought of that, but my throat irritation is was started the anxiety. So i ruled it out in my mind. Although back in 2016 i had a huge cyst behind my ear that i thought was serious. It went away on its own. The last 2 days i have had acid reflux including right now. I hope its not the anti biotic pills causing it. Lots of phlegm too
    • Posted

No problem!

Hmm, well they do say anxiety symptoms can be caused even if you're not anxious. But I'd guess you would need to be anxious first for that to happen. neutral

Hopefully you get to the bottom of it! cheesygrin

• Posted

Thanks! I just read that the antibiotic pills I'm taking cause heat burn..so maybe have to get probiotics too...ugh...i will say that if i block out my dry throat from my mind it doesn't bother me. Just when i try to yell, it reminds me with my throat cracking up. Thanks again

• Posted

Oh, well that might not be helping at all then! cheesygrin

I'm not sure if antibiotics + probiotics will work? I dunno! Just sounds like they will both counteract each other or something. question

My throat/mouth seems to be going dry when I talk too much, I haven't tried yelling haha. 

• Posted

Yes when I started to think about the swallowing and feels like my glands are 10 times the normal size it was really bad but if I try to forget about it and work it wasn’t as bad yes stress can make certain muscles in your throat tighten   making it feel like you have something stuck in your throat and feel like your swallowing golf balls 
    • Posted

I have sever ibs and it’s under control with anitryptolin tablets and I take a 6 billion strength probiotic which I started 3 years ago and my heartburn and ibs is well under control when I’m on antibiotics I stop taking my probiotics as it just kills them anyway

• Posted

Thanks 4 reply Kevin. I just thank the good Lord above that it's not worse. And my kids are healthy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.