Throat mucous as an anxiety symptom

Posted , 46 users are following.

H,i I have been on this forum before I suffer from Anxiety, especially anything to do with health.  I am seeing a councillor.  I have many medical problems the worst being IBS, quiet at the moment, Arthritis, have been in pain all summer, now due to see consultant next week.  More recently have had trouble with bad throat and awful mucous at one 24/7.  I have been given omeprazole an anti acid.  Reading on line yesterday I saw

information saying that throat mucous can be caused be anxiety.  My question is does anyone here suffer with it, what are your symptoms and how did you treat it. My Gp says it is probably silent reflux and I realise anxiety makes everything worse. Would love you hear from anyone affected by this.  Thanks

5 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I have this a lot at the moment. Do you also feel as if you have a lump in the throat? Or that you may not be able to swallow or might choke?
    • Posted

Hi, I have had a lump in the past but not at the moment.  Sometimes I

feel as though I can't swallow, but not exactly choking.  It is worse after food.  Even though it is probably silent reflux (I have the symptoms) it is probably made worse by anxiety.  The trouble is I have so many other things wrong with me.  I spent most of August in pain from arthritis and did not go out for 3 weeks.  The stress from this plus medication has probably caused this latest problem.  I am taking omeprazole which is an anti acid which they give you for Gerd, ulcers etc.  Do you have any 

tips for helping clear the mucous. Thanks for replying.

• Posted

Well I've recently started taking an antihistamine, and I think it does help with the mucus, not totally but it does a little. I sometimes feel that I start to swallow but its as if suddenly I can't. Its a really odd and distressing feeling. If its anxiety related though,its the anxiety that needs dealt with and not the symptoms of the anxiety. Therapy tends to work better long term rather than medication
    • Posted

Hello, Thanks for your reply

I don't take anxiety medication (have enough to take for other things) At 66 I expect a lot of people say this.  I am seeing a councillor and it is helping me.    I wish you well for the future.

• Posted

I have this EVERDAY & I HATE IT!!  I do take meds for the anxiety but that "fear" of chocking & swalling pills drives me crazy!!

I wish there was something natural that would help...)-:

• Posted

Hi there I suffer from really bad health anxiety and I'm only 17, I have the throat mucus and really bad sinus problems which I think are caused by my anxiety, I also am a really severe hypachondriac it's taken over my life😞 please feel free to have a chat any time x
    • Posted

I too have sudden sinus problems which for sure seem worse when my anxiety is worse. So easy to focus on physical things then they become obsessions. So easy but horrible
    • Posted

It is horrible anxiety makes everything more painful and distressing, I've been having these sinus and throat problems all summer it's horrible
    • Posted

Hi Rachel, I am old enough to be your grandmother but I have a 17 grandson, plus 3 other smaller ones.  You mention hyperchondria, I too have  health anxiety.  If you google symptoms then please do stop. You will think you have every possible disease. This was advice I was given and I stopped,  it does help.  I can certainly sympathise with you on sinus and throat mucus.  I hope you can get some help you are young with your whole life ahead of you.  You should be enjoying your teenage years.  I sing in a rock and pop choir and could not go this morning because of the mucous and my voice is not at it's best.  I am sad and angry I could not go as I love it.  Please do not let your anxiety stop you for doing the things you want.  I know this is easier said than done but it is the advice I have been given.

Take care Rachel

Carol

• Posted

The problem for me is that anxiety doesn't only stop u doing what you want to do - it takes away the desire to do those things. Anxiety just makes life unbearable at times
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your advice I used to always google my symptoms but I stopped too because my doctor told me to, I'm having a slight panick attack right now as we speak and feel so drained and run down it's horrible😞 
    • Posted

Anxiety really does suck so much joy from life. I often get panicky if I'm talking about the things that make me anxious, I start to feel really detached. Panic attacks are actually good, think of how good it feels when it passes - which it always does
    • Posted

Oh Rachel I feel so sorry for you.  Do you have someone close who you can talk to.  Have you been offered any help (not medication) by your gp. Are you still at college work etc?  You need to get some help with your anxiety.

• Posted

I'm having a really bad one I know it's coming to an end though when I just burst into tears, it's so hard to cope with it really is 
    • Posted

Hi I'm 16 and suffer very severe anxiety also. Trust me your not alone I mean I had it for a year and didn't know it. My mom didn't think I would get it so young. I thought I was a dying freshman. The thing that helps me is to remind my self is to think if jv had this symptom beogre if so in fine if not I investigate it ask questions. And I'm am horrified if doctors straight up but it seriously helps for clarification and if you go in with the mindset that it's an anxiety symtoms and I'm just confirming it( in severe cases) it relives nerves. Hope this helps but I understand if not Necaue I still suffer from it all the time uncontrollably if I find other ways to help relive I will really it! Just remember your not alone and a lot of people will help talk you through it!
    • Posted

Hi Rachel, I was just wondering if u found a way to fight these feeling because i too suffer from them. Any tips
    • Posted

Hi there...i am suffering from vein pulling in my neck. It subsequently resulted in forming of mucas since last 8 months.

Its on my left side of neck and still dont know what the problem is. I visited doctors quite lot of time. They did all ultra sound, checked my neck with putting camera inside to check if there is any cancer....etc but I strongly feel that it is all because of anxiety which I had last year.

Does any one know what could be the cause of this...! I need help.

• Posted

I'm the same way. Been struggling with anxiety and panic attacks. Most of witch is triggered by being a hypochondriac. I'm always clearing my throat and feel as ifvi cantvget the phlem out and then I feel like im choking but I'm not. Idk it sucks. I hate anxiety
    • Posted

any progress so far mt doctor thinks its lpr but ive been taking med not helping same problem my head spins when i clear my throat
    • Posted

hi Rachel im having the same problems throat mucaa tickle in throat runny nose ect

• Posted

so i glad i just seen ur reply. i too get like a itch in my throat right at the back and back of mouth, always need to clear my throat and block nose, my ears hurt on and off too xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.