Throat pain for months! HELP! :((((

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello! I am desperate!

So I have had throat pain since November 1st, 2017.

I can't remember if I felt it before halloween but I definitely felt it the morning after. 

On halloween night I put liquid eyeliner all over my lips. Looking back on it I feel stupid for doing that. I ate food such as a hotdog and pizza and I drank alcohol. The next day I had an uncomfortable sore throat and I felt pain when swallowing saliva.

The pain progressively got worse and on November 4th through 6th I was having trouble speaking and pain when drinking water. I also could not eat a thing. Looking back on it I should have gone to the ER but I kept going to urgent care and no one seemed worried about my symptoms. On November 7th I went to urgent care for the 3rd time and received a 10 day course of antibiotics (Amoxicillin) I felt way better that night and the next couple of days after that. I still felt pain on one side of my throat but it was so dull compared to before.

After finishing the antibiotics the pain came back and I ended up developing a clicking/cracking throat when I swallowed, excessive swallowing, and my throat would have a lot of mucus in it. I did bacterial swabs and the strep test so many times and they all came back negative. I then got my wisdom teeth removed mid-December because I notice jaw pain and I would have trouble opening my mouth wide. I was prescribed codeine and amoxicillin 3 times a day for ten days.I felt okay during that time and I was able to eat soft foods. Once I finished my pain meds and amoxicillin the pain came back. Still not as bad as it was in October but I could still feel it. I noticed my throat would feel very narrow and I had trouble swallowing often.

I managed to get an ENT appointment to which I did not bring up the eyeliner (because I really did not think of it as the cause yet) He told me my throat looked normal. Even though in my opinion it looked red and my tonsils looked enlarged.

I finally went to the Emergency room on January 17th which was no help because I am at the bottom of the barrel due to my age, blood work being normal, and it being flu season. I was given predinzone and was told it will open up my throat and help with the throat tightness. The predinzone helped a lot and I've been finally eating 3 times a day although I struggle with hard foods and I feel my food taking a long time to get down my esophagus.

Note: I've noticed my throat does not look red and tonsils look like a normal size but I am scared this is only temporary. 

I also have very tight throat muscles 

I tried acupuncture today because I am so desperate. 

I can't describe the pain I've been going through because it varies from time to time. Some days it will feel dull other days it will feel sharp. Some mornings I will wake up and feel a lot of mucus in my throat and other days I will feel like food is still stuck in my throat from the night before. My mouth will also burn and I noticed I have become very sensitive to seasonings and spices. I cough a lot more and have more mucus. My biggest fear is that this has resulted due to chemical poisoning.

The products I used were the

Wet & Wild H20 waterproof eyeliner  I have listed the ingredients ( Isododecane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Trimethylpentanediol/Adipic Acid/Glycerin Crosspolymer , C11-12 Isoparaffin, Polypropylsilsesquioxane, C8-9 Isoparaffin, Trihydroxystearin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Tocopherol, Black 2/CI 77266.) 

and the

Elf liquid eyeliner Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Isododecane, Polysorbate 20, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Triethanolamine, PVM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Tin Oxide, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

May Contain: Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), DC Black #2 (CI 77266), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Red 40 Lake (CI 16035)

Please let me know if anyone is going through this or something similar? This pain is literally ruining my life. I am only 22 and just graduated college. I cry every single day because I don't feel normal. 

Note: I've had swallowing problems when I was just 13 due to anxiety and globulous sensation but now I know the difference between actual pain and anxiety so I know this is not anxiety induced. 

Thank you for reading this! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary. Sounds like you’ve had a tough time and I feel for you. I’m currently suffering with tonsillitis even though I had my tonsils removed when I was 5, I’m now 34!! Aparrently they can grow back. I’m in agony and although I have antibiotics it’s not helping yet! Plus codeine, paracetamol and naproxen pain killers are not touching it! 

Do you suffer allergies as this can be a cause of sore throats from the drip back out of your nose? Might be worth getting an allergy test to rule it out. 

Hope you feel better soon, sending big hugs your way. Stay strong and try to be positive. Hopefully you will get your diagnosis soon! ??????

• Posted

Hi Mary67704,

I work in a cosmetic industry and my work is ensure that the cosmetic product are sure for the customer, so I must study the toxicological properties of all the components of the cosmetic products.

So, for your case, your problem is due, without doubt for me, to the ingestion of isododecane!

Isododecane is harmful if swallowed or ingested, it can bring pain to the airways!

I think you must go again to the Emergency and tell them you've eated isododecane, and if you want on web you can find msds of this ingredient, (type 'msds isododecane'wink. Bring it with you and make read it! At point 2 you can read what I say to you H 304. 

Don't worry, at the dose that you've eated it's not fatal, but it can bring pain at the throat! 

For the future, don't use the cosmetic products in a different use from the raccomended use! The cosmetic product, can be harmful! They are sure only for the raccomended use, because for this they are formulated.

A wish, if you eat cosmetics or cleanser, please run soon to the Emergency or to a anti-poisoning center.

Good luck!! I hope you can resolve your problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.